- Hair Care & Hair Tools- use alt shift right arrow to open the sub menu
- Skincare- use alt shift right arrow to open the sub menu
- Fragrance- use alt shift right arrow to open the sub menu
- Makeup- use alt shift right arrow to open the sub menu
- Bath & Body- use alt shift right arrow to open the sub menu
- Men's Grooming- use alt shift right arrow to open the sub menu
Understanding premium beauty brands and products
Premium beauty is a special product category that focuses on curating a range of high-end personal care products from trusted brands. If you're used to shopping for makeup, skincare and other personal care items in a drugstore, you may not be familiar with the brands available in our premium beauty category. Learning more about what's available makes it easier to find what you're looking for.
- Designer labels: You may notice some famous clothing designer names among a selection of premium makeup, fragrance, skincare and haircare products. Brands like Marc Jacobs, Dior, Chanel and others also manufacture beauty products that tend to be marketed toward a high-end consumer base. Fragrances from these brands tend to reflect their aesthetic — for example, Marc Jacobs' perfumes are typically youthful and subtly feminine, while Dior perfumes cater to a more traditional crowd.
- Boutique brands: Boutique beauty brands like Philosophy, Clarins, Urban Decay and Too Faced typically aren't found in drugstores and may include higher-quality ingredients and longer-lasting formulas. These products usually have higher price points than other beauty products, but their fans may feel that they get what they pay for. If you're looking for different formulations than what you typically find in drugstore makeup, haircare and skincare brands that you've used, giving a boutique brand a try might get you the results you're looking for. A higher price tag doesn't always guarantee better results, of course, so your mileage may vary. Careful shopping and product research can help you discover certain ingredients you might only find in boutique brands.
- Labels from overseas: High-end beauty products are in demand across the globe, and that means beauty fans have access to more brands than ever before. If you're looking for something new, consider trying products from a foreign brand. For example, Korean beauty products, also known as K-beauty, have become a popular option, particularly for skincare. Products from overseas companies may come in innovative forms — the sheet mask craze originated in Korea and Japan — or might include ingredients you aren't used to seeing in personal care items.
How can I find the right premium beauty products?
Premium beauty products tend to cater to specific styles and care needs, which means that product selection usually requires more attention to detail than simply finding a color you like. These strategies should make it easier to find the right product match for your beauty needs.
- Customer reviews: Reviews can be helpful for getting a better idea of what people experience when they use a specific product. However, it's important to think critically about the reviews you come across in this product category rather than taking them at face value. You'll get the most out of reviews if you dig into the details. Everyone's skin and fashion choices are different, so what's true for one person may not be true for you. If you see a product with a lot of the same negative feedback (such as a lipstick that doesn't stay put or shampoo that leaves hair greasy), it's probably likely that you'll have the same experience. However, one person saying that a product caused his or her skin to break out isn't necessarily an indicator that the product would do the same for you.
- Product descriptions: Descriptions are helpful for finding out whether the product you're considering is formulated in a way that matches your needs. For example, if you have sensitive skin, make sure that any skincare products you look at mention being gentle or suitable for your skin type. In addition to this type of information, make sure to look at product sizes so you get an idea of how much you'll actually get. You may find that some premium products are available in multiple sizes, which means you can buy a smaller size when you purchase for the first time.
- Brand consistency: Shopping for products within a trusted brand can make it easier to narrow down your options in premium beauty. For example, you may find that a certain brand tends to use scents that you particularly like, or that its skincare products don't cause irritation when you use them. If you find a specific product that works really well for your needs, you can give that brand's other products a try to see if they also work. This can make it easier to make a purchase decision among multiple similar product options.