Your guide to Walmart's Layaway services
During the holidays, take more time to pay with Layaway from Walmart. By offering you a convenient way to pay, along with our Every Day Low Prices, Walmart is the perfect place to do your Christmas shopping.
We make it easier on your wallet by spreading out holiday payments over a period of time. You don't have to use credit cards and you don't have to pay interest on your purchases when you use our Layaway plan.
When Layaway is available
Walmart Layaway is available in stores during the holiday season, August 30 to December 9. (Certain store locations offer the service year-round for jewelry purchases.)
Please note that Layaway is not offered online; it's only for in-store purchases.
How it works
Opening a Layaway plan is easy and only requires a few steps while you're in the store. To initiate a Layaway, simply bring the item to the store’s designated Layaway counter.
- There's no opening fee required for a Layaway.
- All you need to do is make a small down-payment of $20, or 20%, whichever is greater.
- Individual items must cost $10 or more.
- Your total purchase must be $50 or greater.
- You can make payments any time on your Layaway at any register in the store.
- You can sign up for email or text reminders about payments.
Read the fine print
Make sure you read the fine print about our Layaway services to avoid any unnecessary surprises:
- Minimums: Individual items must be $10 or greater, and total purchases must equal $50 or more. If items are added to a layaway order dropping the deposit to less than 20% of the total basket, additional payment up to 20% of the total basket is required.
- Terms: Layaway begins August 30. Final payment and pickup must be made before the last day of Layaway at the same store where it was initiated, otherwise the account will be canceled. NOTE: Layaway excludes ALL wireless phones.
- Cancellation: If your Layaway account is canceled, items will be returned to inventory. Any down-payment and payments made will be refunded, less $20 or 20%, whichever is greater. Cancellation fee does not apply in Maryland, Ohio, Rhode Island or Washington, D.C. Cancellation fee in AL will not exceed $25. Cancellation fee in NC will not exceed $50.
- Age Requirement: Customers must be eighteen years of age (18) or older to open, receive items from, or receive refunds from a layaway account. This includes the primary customer on the account as well as any alternate pickup customers identified on the account.
- Returns: Walmart Return Policy applies to all Layaway transactions.
- Set up in stores only (not available for online purchases).
- Excludes ALL wireless phones.
- Layaway not available on Thursday, November 28th.
- See your local Walmart store for more details.
Layaway orders not paid for and picked up by December 10th will be cancelled. Any payments will be refunded. Offer valid 8/30/19 –12/9/19. Available for electronics, automotive electronics, large furniture, infant furniture, infant toys, toys, select sporting goods, small appliances, and jewelry. Excludes all wireless phones. Walmart and Walmart Supercenter stores only. Some restrictions apply. Layaway is not available on Thursday, November 28.
What can you put on Layaway
- Electronics (without service plans)
- Small Appliances
- Large Furniture
- Auto Electronics
- Sporting Goods (select items)
- Infant Toys
- Infant Furniture
See your local Walmart store for more details on our Holiday Layaway Plan.
Walmart's Savings Center
Be sure to check out the online Savings Center where we have highlighted our best values, including items on Clearance, Rollbacks, Special Buys—many of which can be put on Layaway in our stores. To get to the savings, simply visit the page at www.walmart.com/savingscenter.
In addition to our Every Day Low Prices, Walmart stores offer even more opportunities to save money while holiday shopping:
- Clearance can be found in every corner of every Walmart, so keep your eyes peeled for the yellow signs to find deals you can place on Holiday Layaway.
- Rollbacks aren’t Clearance items; they're items we've lowered the price on for a set amount of time. You'll find Rollbacks listed in Walmart flyers, online, and on in-store signage—many of which can be placed on Layaway.
- Special Buys happen at Walmart all the time to offer you exclusive low prices throughout the entire season, so you don't have to wait until Black Friday to grab an item that's on your radar and put it on Layaway.