Destined to Witness: Growing Up Black in Nazi Germany
Customers also viewed these products
- $7.98 Was $8.95Save $0.97
- $6.04 List price $6.99Save $0.95
- $5.57 List price $7.99Save $2.42
- $12.90 Was $13.59Save $0.69
- $16.26 List price $18.95Save $2.69
Check out these related products
- $18.73 List price $24.99Save $6.26
- $13.77 List price $14.99Save $1.22
- $12.94 List price $15.99Save $3.05
- $13.37 List price $14.99Save $1.62
- $9.47 List price $15.99Save $6.52
- $8.53 Was $10.31Save $1.78
- $11.78 List price $14.00Save $2.22
About this item
About this item
Important Made in USA Origin Disclaimer: For certain items sold by Walmart on Walmart.com, the displayed country of origin information may not be accurate or consistent with manufacturer information. For updated, accurate country of origin data, it is recommended that you rely on product packaging or manufacturer information.
A respected journalist and veteran of the Civil Rights Movement offers a telling chronicle of his fascinating experiences during the Holocaust, describing his survival as a black youth in Nazi Germany in the midst of racial hatred and daily danger. Reprint. 30,000 first printing.
This is a story of the unexpected.In Destined to Witness, Hans Massaquoi has crafted a beautifully rendered memoir -- an astonishing true tale of how he came of age as a black child in Nazi Germany. The son of a prominent African and a German nurse, Hans remained behind with his mother when Hitler came to power, due to concerns about his fragile health, after his father returned to Liberia. Like other German boys, Hans went to school; like other German boys, he swiftly fell under the Fuhrer's spell. So he was crushed to learn that, as a black child, he was ineligible for the Hitler Youth. His path to a secondary education and an eventual profession was blocked. He now lived in fear that, at any moment, he might hear the Gestapo banging on the door -- or Allied bombs falling on his home. Ironic, moving, and deeply human, Massaquoi's account of this lonely struggle for survival brims with courage and intelligence.
|Number of Pages:||480|
|Author:||Massaquoi, Hans J.|
|Publication Date:||February, 2001|
Ask a question
If you would like to share feedback with us about pricing, delivery or other customer service issues, please contact customer service directly.
Questions will be checked against our question guidelines and posted within five to seven business days.
Consider these popular products
- $10.36 List price $16.99Save $6.63
- $3.38 Was $3.62Save $0.24
- $4.40 Was $4.72Save $0.32
- $3.56 Was $4.58Save $1.02
- $8.67 List price $14.95Save $6.28
- $4.95 List price $5.95Save $1.00