Walmart Tax Exemption Program Enrollment
Many organizations qualify to make sales tax-exempt purchases. The Walmart Tax-Exemption Program (WTEP) is our tool to allow an exempt customer to be recognized for automatic removal of taxes during checkout of purchases from Walmart.com. Please contact your tax advisor or your state or local taxing authority to determine if your organization qualifies for sales tax-exemption.
If your organization is qualified to purchase tax-exempt goods, the Walmart Tax-Exemption Tool will guide you through the process of enrolling in WTEP. You will be prompted to answer questions specific to the type of exemption applicable to your organization and select the states in which you qualify for sales tax-exemption.
Even though you may be approved in WTEP, sales tax may still be charged on the following orders/items:
- Marketplace items, unless shipped to a state in which Walmart.com is considered a marketplace facilitator, Click here for a list of applicable states.
Exempt customers may still be charged product fees as required by applicable state law.
- Complete Tax-Exempt Application by following the prompted questions and uploading documents.
- A Walmart.com account must be created. You will be prompted to create an account once you start your application below. Please create an account using your business or organizational email address and provide the first and last name of the primary individual who will be purchasing for the business or organization’s tax-exempt purchases.
- You must provide valid tax-exempt document(s) for each state where exempt goods are shipped or picked up in store (Pick Up Today).
Tax-Exempt suggested document list by state and organization type: Tax-Exempt Document List
- Once your application has been submitted, your documents will be reviewed and a determination made whether your application for exemption is approved.
- To check the status of your application, click on Tax-Exempt Program, and then click Tax-Exempt Application. Your status will show: In Progress or Accepted or Rejected.
- Please note it may take up to 2 business days for your status to be approved or denied. If approved, you will be eligible to make tax-exempt purchases immediately.
- An estimated tax may show until the final screen.
- Sales tax is automatically removed on the final “Review and Place Order” screen.
- For applications that are not approved due to more information required, you will receive an email with the specific reason for rejection.
- To modify your application once it’s been submitted, please log into your walmart.com account you used to apply. Once logged in, navigate to the Tax Exempt Program page, and then click Tax Exempt Application.
Please note applications that have been submitted and are in progress for review may not be modified. An application may only be edited if it has been approved or rejected. There will be an EDIT button at the top of the page. Click the button and make appropriate changes and click SUBMIT to finalize changes.