Hello, Hello. Sign In
Please enter a valid city, state or zip code
17 reviews | 2.8 out of 5
MOWER CRANKS VERY GOOD. CUTS VERY GOOD. REAR WHEELS ARE THE DOWNFALL OF THIS PRODUCT. MINE HAVE BROKEN OFF TWICE NOW.
back wheel broke off after 10 mintutes of use on level ground! It is
made of plastic. Returned it.
Fairly easy to start. To stop the self-propelled front wheels, you have
to release the handle part way, but not all the way or else the mower
shuts off (and you have to re-start the whole thing again). This gets a
little tricky when you try to mow up against something and have to
start and stop a lot.
The bag is on the smaller side, so you have to empty it frequently.
easy to put together but when I went to push it out in the back yard one of the cheap plastic wheels broke and I had to go buy one at Walmart for $20.00. Easy to start.
Took 15 minutes to start mowing. Assembly was real easy. Engaging the drive belt is different than most. I expect some people will like it better and some won't, as when it's engaged you don't hold it.
On my unit the wheel did not fall off.
I've had my Brute for 2 months now and absolutely love it. I don't care for the bagging because it is way to small of a bag......you have to empty frequently.
As a single mother trying to do everything, I absolutely LOVE this lawn mower!!! It took all of 15 minutes to remove it from the box and set it up. I probably should have waited to fertilize until I bought this, so sadly the grass was very tall and I didn't have any problems! Maybe I'll get around to reading the papers that were in the box eventually.
the front wheel pull-power does not seem enough and does not dig in very well, slipping a bit...as well as the overall power to mow a heavy lawn.
the given hp and specs should be enuf to do the job, but it does it only with difficultly and strains
all the way. easy to put together. and starts with a pull, as specified.
Real good mower, starts on the first pull every time.It has more than enough power.The self propelled works great on are hill,and the bag is easy to dump,or to change over.The back tires are a little cheap, but no problem yet with them.Over all a nice mower for the money.
Owned about 10 mowers in my life and this is the first one that failed to start within the first year. TIP: if this mower fails to start for you, try this, it worked for me.....under the top plastic shroud to the motor are 2 different springs with wires. Just slightly pry up the shroud with one hand and flip the lever attached to 1 of the springs in the direction towards the air filter.
Decent mower, I found however that the front wheel drive barely gets any traction. if you want a push/drive mower that gets decent traction and pulls well get a rear wheel drive model. It did start on the first pull out of the box. I have a cub cadet rear wheel drive that was two years old that the engine blew on last year.
I bought this mower nowing it was the second most expensive mover that walmart had to offer aside from the Brute twin but with electric start. The setup was a breeze and the first mow was awesome. On the second mow is when I started having problems. The bar that goes between the two rear wheels that holds the rear bag on kept vibrating loose and the bag would fall off. Secondly, when you went to push the mower the handle devoloped about 6 inches of play that would allow the handle to move up and down. Im sure these are easy to fix or replace but the reality is...for 238 dollars I could have chosen a better built mower. D+
starts easy but does not mow up against buildings to well. have to keep stopping then restart the mower.
bag is small also. Is cheap made.
The first time I used this mower the rear wheel broke off,and it didn't want to stay running. It acted as if it wasn't getting gas.
Bought the thing this morning. Won't start. Have call into Briggs, and a blister on my finger from trying to start it. Wife is angry because she didn't want to spend the money in the first place, neighbors are probably laughing.
Brute 22” self-propelled mower
Review/reason for return
1. The only redeeming qualities for this mower is that it starts first pull every time with ease, performs well on straight back and forth mowing in an open area (although it is very slow), and looks nice.
2. When not using the self-propelled feature to mow around landscaped areas, the mower lives up to the name, Brute. It is very difficult to maneuver without the self-propelled feature engaged.
3. The mower is too tall and does not trim around landscaped areas very well increasing the need for additional weed-eating. The engine sits at 20” compared to my old mower which sits at 16” when set at the same cut-height position.
4. The bagger is a nightmare. Although it really is “dust- free”, it does not matter when the manufacture decided to have 2 holes in the bag. As soon as you release the band to dump the clippings, all the dirt goes right in your face. Also, it is very difficult to empty the bag. When my normal procedure is to simply empty the bag into the bed of my truck while standing on the ground, with this bag it was necessary to climb into the bed of the truck each time the bag had to be emptied. Very poor design.
5. The self-propelled feature works well however it is extremely slow and shifting the lever is awkward. Mowing time was increased greatly compared to my old mower.
6. Fuel capacity must either be very low, or the mower is a fuel hog. Frequent refueling is necessary.
When using the mower a front wheel got tangled in high grass which stopped the wheel while the motor was still running and drive engaged. The motor commenced to sheer the nylon worm drive gear in the transmission. Mower had less that 4 hours use. The belt drive runs a shaft with a steel worm gear. It drives a nylon worm gear on the axle. If a wheel gets stalled for any reason the motor will grind off the nylon gear before you can stop the engine.
very dissapointed have the machime for about 3 years change my back wheels twice and change the assembly,contol box twice which cost me 73.00 dollars each . i say like everyone else the only thing good about this machine is it start good would not recomended to anyone