We bought this Mr. Coffee GBX23 because of good reviews in Consumer Reports, and Walmart.com had the best price by far. We were hoping the grind-and-brew feature would be an upgrade from our previous brew-only coffee maker. Unfortunately, even when set on "Strong," the coffee is weak. We make 8 "cups" (=3 large mugs) every morning (only 2/3 of a pot), and even increasing the amount of beans to the maximum that would fit in the grinder (supposedly enough for 12 "cups") was not enough to make good coffee. And we used some really robust coffee beans! So we'll be returning this product for a refund. Too bad, because otherwise there was a lot to like about the rest of this coffee maker: easy controls, relatively easy cleanup, and a carafe that actually pours well. A few minor notes if you like weak coffee and are still thinking of getting this product:
1. You will have to clean and dry the grinding chamber after every pot, because the steam makes the leftover grounds stick to the chamber, which would block the flow of grounds in the next batch. Luckily the chamber is removable and easy to clean by hand or in the dishwasher.
2. You'll need to find the large paper filters from Mr. Coffee. Generic basket filters in most grocery stores are too small.
3. The beeps with every button push are very loud and can't be silenced.
4. Yes the grinder is kind of loud. I actually liked the sound, kind of like Pavlov's bell -- made my mouth start to water in anticipation.
5. It's bigger than most coffee makers. Dimensions listed above (10.39 x 6.87 x 8.425) are way wrong. It's more like ~12" W x 12" D x 16" H. Check other websites for correct dimensions if you're worried about space. Hope that's helpful!
Was this review helpful? (2) (0)
Thank you! You have successfully submitted feedback for this review.