I am writing this review after using this bed for nearly 7 months. I had bought two sets with their headboards for my two daughters (at grades 1 and 4). I believe this review fairly explains several aspects about this product, its prices, design and service, and I hope it helps you guys make sound decisions before making a purchase.
- Nice design with good shiny off-white color. The three drawers are a great plus to accommodate clothing.
- The headboard is well design and reasonable size for small rooms. It has good partitions for my daughters to place their dolls, books, stories..etc.
- The headboard and the bed fits perfectly as one unit from a design perspective.
- I received a defective part (one of the legs), and I called South Shore customer service who shipped immediately a replacement part at no cost to me.
- Also, during installation, I realized that I incorrectly positioned one major piece and after calling South Shore, I got it right.
- For installation, you should expect to spend at least 2 hours to assemble the bed if you are alone. I did it myself alone.
- The major and serious issue with this bed and headboard is the MDF quality of wood. If I realize it is that poor MDF, I wouldn't have purchased it. During assembly, you will notice that the pre-holes can easily get damaged. The bottom line is that you should not expect this bed set to live longer. I personally have an expectation of 2-3 years if not re-assembled again due to house move.
- The second major flaw is that drawers rails are plastic, and this is really cheap. They break easily and get out of their rails pretty easy as well. Some other reviewers have mentioned this in their reviews but honestly I did not think it is a major issue. If you are kids are known to keep opening and closing these drawers often, then, you will face an issue that the drawer will get out of its trail and often gets broken. This has happened just recently to one of the them that I had to break it apart, fix it and then bring it back.
Bottom line: If you have limited budget, and want to get something fancy, then get this bed set, otherwise, pay more and get a bed with Pine or Maple wood instead which will last longer, possibly for years to come.
All the best,