"Don't worry Elsa, I'll get you a castle. I'll ask Santa to bring it for you." This was a last minute request to Santa from my five year old, but was the main thing she wanted. Overall, she's happy and mostly, that's what matters...
But, she plays far more with the furniture pieces inside than the actual castle which isn't very user-friendly for a dollhouse type of item. She would have been reduced to tears on xmas morning if it wasn't there, but I would say she's a little disappointed with the product's shortcomings.
Here are her/my concerns:
1) Should be more dollhouse like - top floors really can't be used; and even the bottom floors have very limited room to play.
2) Slide is cute, but the dolls get stuck.
3) Stairs are ridiculous and barely functional....they are planks coming off a single rod, fanned out to be stairs - sort of like a free form spiral staircase, but missing a railing and a second side. My daughter didn't know what they were until we told her and she still doesn't get it. Considering how magnificient the stairs were in the movie, they should have made this better, at least for the ice castle side. My daughter wants the dolls to act out scenes in the movie, but she can't with those stairs.
4) Dolls, other than Olaf, aren't included. I realized this when I bought it, but my daughter (despite having two of them already) was heartbroken based on the commericals and the box. She wanted the Christoph doll and the crown on Elsa's head. Big disappointment for her.
5) Limited play value - this will take up a lot of space but not deliver on the play value. And you know I won't be able to convince her to part with it anytime soon.
6) Too many pieces for xmas morning. Rookie mistake I guess - we should have assembled the night before. All in all - Not nearly worth $85 (now selling for $75, I've noticed). A big part of me feels incredibly resentful about Disney hijacking my wallet for the holiday. I would have been okay spending $50 bucks on this, but $90 when you add tax? C'mon. That's a big ticket toy for this age group - and this toy just doesn't deliver. I could have gotten a really nice dollhouse for that not much more than that amount, that she would have played with for years.... Unless your child is begging for this specifically, I'd avoid unless the price drops significantly. I'm giving it an extra star because it delivered the wow factor on xmas morning....but it's only 6 days after xmas and the castle itself hasn't been opened in two days. (the furniture and Olaf figure are being used).
Was this review helpful? (22) (0)
Thank you! You have successfully submitted feedback for this review.