I've had this unit setting in the garage for about 7 years now, and finally got to use it for an ice storm power outage. Works great. Super easy operation. I run it on LOW, because the LOW setting produces plenty of heat and of course, will last longer. I intend to purchase another one this summer. As for the kerosene odor, we use a "kerosene fuel additive". The additive reduces the kerosene odor tremendously, I highly recommend. I once forgot to use the additive and quickly learned that it does indeed make a huge difference.