* Editing is simple and versitile
* Titling is simple for chapter or disc
* HDMI out up-conversion to 1080p
* DVD+R/RW fast transfer from HDD in SLP mode
* Full-featured for the enthusiast
* no component input (RGB)
* negative reviews likely from technically challenged reviewers EXCEPT for defects (read on)
* no HDMI input
There are NO COMPONENT INPUTS - Rear: only composite (VIDEO/L/R) FrontL DVI and another Composite
The Rear output is HDMI or Composite or Component (R/G/B)
Overall Rating: 5 stars - outstanding product
Aw Shucks: Get this unit while you can, last of its kind, you will be forced to go to computer-based PVR if you do not get one - read on to find out my theory as to why
1. get the 3 year extended warranty, as the peace of mind is well worth it because you will likely use this every day.
2. I recommend +RW discs - no finalization required, no coasters ever, Memorex discs WILL NOT WORK (!). Check manual for compatible discs.
I am reviewing the refurbished 350 GB model of this HDD/DVD recorder/player/editor. The unit is made by Funai and customer service from the manufacturer is fairly easy to deal with. I know, because this was my third unit - each of the first two had different problems, so if you want the "deal" that is the refurbished model, brace yourself, as the QA may not be the best. I am going to guess that this is because most of the units are returned because consumers cannot deal with the complexity of operating a product such as this - as a result of receiving one defective out of every hundred returned, Funai likely grew very tired of throughly testing the returns. As the likely result of this hypothesis, these recorders will be discontinued (fact) next year, sending all non-TiVo consumers to the computer-based PVR [personal video recorder] solution. Great for TiVo, I guess, but what most people do not realize is that the editing capabilities of this machine make it very unique.
You can edit scenes - start and end delete
You can title chapters
You can title discs
You can select the thumbnail displayed for each chapter
You can also roll-back the streaming video (it runs all the time) and retroactively begin a recording. How cool is that?
The unit well suited for home video enthusiasts who do not want to deal with computer interfaces or software or those who believe in dedicated devices vs mutlifunction.
The device is guaranteed to transform the way you will watch TV, particularly with the programmable interval skip forward - say goodbye to AFLAK!
Was this review helpful?
Thank you! You have successfully submitted feedback for this review.