I have had several Eureka machines, and my last one was the Altima vacuum with built-in feather duster, which I really liked. Unfortunately the machine started losing suction after 2 years, so I bought this vacuum as a replacement. There was a whole end-cap full of them in the store, but no display unit to see what the unit looked like out of the box. When I brought it home and opened it, I realized it is 'in-between' the small stick-vac sized units and a customary-sized upright vacuum, which is not what I was expecting...for the price, there were several Dirt Devil, Bissell, and another Eureka machine that were full-size for less money. I went ahead and tried the machine and I can honestly say the POSITIVES are:
1) For a small machine, it REALLY sucks and pulls dirt out of your carpet.
2) Very lightweight and fits easily between furniture/under end-tables, etc. due to it's small size.
1) The plastic handle, etc. feels very "flimsy"...you could feel the handle flexing/bending when you maneuver the machine.
2) Too small and took almost twice as long to vacuum a room because of its compact size.
3) The way the dirt cup opens at the bottom for the "cyclonic action", there is a suction-seal thing in the bottom and in order for it to re-seal properly after emptying, you have to wipe the bottom lid/O-ring clean before closing and re-inserting into the vacuum. I liked the old-style dust cups that were open at the top because I didn't have to worry about cleaning it or touching the dirt/dust to clean each time I emptied the machine. While I know I could have returned the unit to the store, I gave it to one of my elderly friends who has a small home and shoulder problems and needs something very light. She seemed very pleased, and this is an ideal unit for her needs. Meanwhile, I went back to the store and bought the larger Eureka "Suction Seal Airspeed" unit with rewinding cord for $139.00 and am much happier. I think I can best sum this up as "you get what you pay for"...but at $60.00 and comparable units for $45 - $50, this vacuum didn't really feel like an outstanding value.
Was this review helpful? (124) (41)
Thank you! You have successfully submitted feedback for this review.