I've been a long term Sony fan, I've always loved the Handycam series of camcorders but unfortunately this is a step down for me, I was excited to see this camera, as on paper it seems amazing, low light enhancement, face tracking abilities, wow this camera seemed exciting. I've been using this camera for just two days, I wanted to give it a fair go, but I will be returning this as soon as I finish this review. There are come pros, so let me explain them all briefly Cons.
1. Noisy zoom: When you are zooming in and out, you here a noticeable whine upon playback, which is especially noticeable and annoying when you're shooting a quiet scene, like some birds or quiet conversation. This was NOT noticeable at all all in the HDR-CX110 model, so very disappointed to find it appear now. See attached video demonstration.
2. Inside shots are incredible grainy: When indoors, the video is EXTREMELY grainy. Turning on the low lux-mode just enhances the grain. In researching this I found this is probably the cause of the reduced size CMOS sensor than in previous models. Unacceptable when you buy a HD camera looking for crisp video quality. Comparing the video quality to my ten year old Panasonic MiniDV camera, sure the detail is higher but the grains stand out many times more. See attached video demonstration.
3. Photo mode is terrible: Photos taken with the camera even on the highest quality setting are terrible. They look blotchy almost, it's hard to explain, but end up looking like a photo taken on an early model camera phone! See attached demo photo, outside was not any better. Pros
1. Outdoor video quality: This is stunning, outside with sunlight, even at dusk, is exceptional.
2. High frame rate: The 60i frame rate capture is fantastic! Very very VERY smooth.
3. Face tracking: Works great, to keep the subject in focus.
4. Audio quality: spectacular capture of audio (minus the unwanted addition of zoom noise) In summary I wouldn't recommend this, very sad to say, I was honestly hoping for more from Sony.
Was this review helpful? (44) (2)
Thank you! You have successfully submitted feedback for this review.