I give it three and a half stars. I have had this fountain for almost a year now, and for all intents and purposes, it does what it's supposed to do. My cat does like it. She went through an initial adjustment period, but then after that she was cool with it. It's very quiet, and I have had no issues with the pump to date. It's also extremely affordable which is great considering the price ranges on pet fountains today! BUT.. and this is probably a big but. The entire fountain is made out of plastic, so it is very porous. Bacteria and slime accumulate very easily in this fountain, and it even turns a slight pink hue in the nooks and crannies. (The sponge that is used to capture hair and particles also turns a pink hue, so it must be rinsed vigorously) The slime is extraordinarily difficult to get off even by hand washing and washing in the dishwasher. So it does take regular, and I mean regular cleaning! Sometimes bi-weekly. My cat will stop drinking from it after about three days. Also, some cats have plastic allergies, so beware of that when considering this fountain. The plastic parts are for the most part easy to clean off, with the exceptions of the little odd angles and corners. The pump on the other hand is another story. I've cleaned mine very regularly with vinegar by taking the entire pump apart and cleaning every edge of it I can with a cotton swab doused in vinegar. This seems to help get the slime mostly off of the pump, and keeps it running smoothly. However, the bacteria build up and the time consuming maintenance of keeping the fountain healthy for my kitty have convinced me to upgrade to a stainless steel pet fountain. In summary:
- Time consuming/ difficult to clean
- Bacteria build up
- Pump is time consuming to clean/disinfect
Was this review helpful? (3) (0)
Thank you! You have successfully submitted feedback for this review.