I purchased a previous Brother All-In-One (printer, scanner, fax, copier) machine 5 years ago, it was great, and I had no major issues, but it recently stopped working, so I called the Brother customer service line and I was told that the printer needed servicing, it was beyond the warranty and I would have to pay around $100 to fix the old printer. I figured it was more cost effective to purchase a new printer, plus it’s an opportunity to upgrade features which my previous 5 year old printer did not have (ie. wireless printing, printing from phone, etc.). So, I researched the printers at various retailers (Best Buy, Staples, Amazon, etc.) and I was in between the HP Officejet series and Cannon Pixma series (the sales associates promoted the HP printer). However, I reviewed the customer ratings for both printers on various websites and found a few issues with both printers, so I was not satisfied with either option. Then I remembered Walmart.com and I visited the website to check the pricing of both printers plus research any additional printer options.
I'm so glad that I checked Walmart.com because I found the Brother All-In-One MFC-J425W Multifunction printer which had everything that I was looking for:
- GREAT FEATURES: Printer, Copier, Fax, Scanner, Wireless Printing, Printing from phone, etc.
- AWSOME PRICE: The Brother printer cost 50% less than the HP Officejet and/or the Cannon Pixma printers.
- GREAT CUSTOMER REVIEWS: The Brother printer had higher customer satisfaction ratings than the competing products.
- GREAT BRAND: Brother is a good brand - my previous printer was a Brother printer and it worked very well for 5 years.
- NICE STYLE: I like the shape of the printer (it's smaller, neater, and more stylish than my previous printer). It fits perfectly into the workspace and leaves extra room for other things.
- QUALITY: The quality of the print is excellent.
- INK CARTRIDGES: The color ink cartridges were my only issue with my previous Brother printer (I mainly use black ink however each time that one color ink cartridge ran out in my previous printer I had to replace all four of the ink cartridges, which was costly). It seems that Brother fixed the cartridge issue because the description for the new printer says that ink cartridges work independently, so there is no need to replace all cartridges when one runs out of ink (and there were no customer complaints about the ink cartridge replacement issue under the Brother customer reviews – but I did notice ink cartridge complaints for the two competing products that I researched). Also, the ink cartridges for my new Brother printer seem less expensive than the cartridges for my old Brother printer.
- WIRELESS: I LOVE the wireless printing option (I previously had to lift my laptop into another room to connect wires every time that I wanted to print). With the new printer, customers have the option of printing wirelessly or with a cable (the minor downside to using the cable is that you have to lift open the top of the printer to stick in the cable versus sticking the cable into an exterior slot). Also the interior printer space is only designed to fit the exact size cable outlet plug – I had a cable with a small adapter on top which fits various shaped plugs and it fit perfectly into my previous printer but there is not enough space designated in the new printer for the adapter (only enough space for a basic cable plug).
- SHIPPING: The shipping was super fast (within a few days). The shipping was much quicker, smoother, and cheaper than the same purchase would have been from another online competitor.
Overall, I've had the printer for a few weeks and so far it's been GREAT!!! The product exceeded my expectations in every area and I am 100% sure that I made a good choice!!! I would HIGHLY recommend the printer to others. Just note that there is a minor learning curve when setting up the printer for the first time (ie. setting up wireless printing) but I was able to figure it out in a relatively short period of time (about 10 minutes) and without contacting customer service but the set-up is not intuitive and I did have to reference the guidebook once.
Was this review helpful?
Thank you! You have successfully submitted feedback for this review.