Hello. Sign In
Please enter a valid city, state or zip code
5 reviews | 1.8 out of 5
I applied almost the entire can to a section of the wall, about 3x4 feet long. This meant almost 10 coats. Despite that many coats, the strength of the magnetic wall is super weak and just barely holds any magnets for my kids and their magnetic toys. Much of it slides down.
... not a full sheet of steel that you are attaching to your wall. The magnet-attracting quality comes from iron particles in the paint, not the liquid itself. What this means for you:
1) as another reviewer stated, ask the paint dept. to pop it in the paint shaker when you buy it. Then use it within a day or two!
2) The particles are still going to be mostly on the bottom (but stir frequently anyway) so the first coat will have the fewest particles. Count on 3 coats, minimum. The can promises 16 sq. feet but I didn't have any extra when I was done my 14 sq. foot rectangle. Also recommends "thin coats"-- if you can!-- this stuff is like paste.
3) Don't expect high powered magnet action. Perfect for kids to attach toy magnets for fun & education. If, like me, the magnets are not the main attraction but will be holding things onto the wall, really really REALLY consider neodymium magnets (rare earth). I was able to get 100 1/8" cubes-- super tiny!-- for $22 incl. shipping online (search "magnets"). They hold my *beautiful* wall of photos, 1-4 magnets per photo, depending on the size. In some cases the photos are on scrapbook paper so they hold thru 2 layers. <<rare earth magnets are considered so powerful that they may be dangerous for homes with young children>> Most of my household magnets would stay on the wall but would not hold a picture.
4)two coats of colored latex paint did not seem to lessen the magnet-attracting capability.
Check out my attached picture~ and note how the tiny neodymium magnets work great.
So... I adjusted my expectations before my project, and it worked great for me!!
Here's the deal: This magnetic primer is good for SOME things. I wouldn't recommend it for use on walls or doors... What I found it to be good for was use as a primer for a refrigerator (that would then be covered in chalkboard paint.)
A few tips that you DEFINITELY want to do:
1. Have someone at the store shake / mix the can for you in their machines. There is metal in this stuff. It gets gross and gritty if not shaken well, but you will spend hours shaking or mixing it by hand... so make sure to do it at the store, then use it immediately after. Paint in thin coats (as directed) and make sure you mix again before each new coat.
2. sand down (and then wipe down) your surface before using this paint
3. use a dropcloth
4. use GLOVES! this stuff is messy and does NOT just wash off - even off of skin.
5. have a paint-thinner on hand for messes (see above note)
6. use a small roller rather than a brush
7. mix, mix, mix!
This product does not work. One can is supposed to work but I'm on my 2nd can and am going to have to buy a 3rd. The door I was painting is ruined now. What was a $20 fun project has turned into a $60 waste-of-money project. If I could rate this 0 stars I would
Great idea in theory. But after stirring for close to a half hour to get the right consistency and applying three coats (as per the instructions on the box) with a foam roller, the paint wouldn't hold the smallest of items. Worse, the covering itself was rough for some reason... so I had to sand it all down in preparation for repainting.
A lot of investment for absolutely zero return.