Hello, Hello. Sign In
Please enter a valid city, state or zip code
56 reviews | 4.6 out of 5
This receiver replaced an older home-theater-in-a-box system that didn't support HDMI. Our TV and this unit are in a smallish guest room/office, which means that there's more than enough power for reasonable listening levels. We didn't want or need a network-connected receiver at this point, so we got this model instead of the next step up. Pros:
- Very good sound quality (5.1 configuration) for movies and music
- Understated styling
- Good front panel controls (all things considered)
- Good automatic speaker and EQ calibration Cons:
- Terrible on screen display and menu system (used for preferences and iPod interface)
- Slow HDMI switching (several seconds until the selected input appears)
- Remote layout isn't user-friendly
- Limitations on which audio inputs can be associated with sources (check the manual at Pioneer's site before buying if this is a potential concern)
- No front-panel HDMI input
- No rear-panel iPod input (I'd much rather connect my iPod/iPhone dock to the back of the unit than have the included white cable sticking out of the front panel) At the end of the day, this is a lot of receiver for the money, and it does well that the most important thing, which is playing music or movies. There are some limitations, though overall we're happy.
I bought this to replace an aging Sony 5.1 receiver and couldn 't be happier! I highly reccomend this receiver to anyone looking too step up to a 7.1 system! Looks sharp! Sounds great! I Have a blu ray player, Xbox 360 and media center pc hooked up (through hdmi) and everything looks and sounds amazing! Setup with the included microphone was a breeze! Once you hear a movie in DTS master audio or DOLBY True HD your life wont be the same! Trust me! Buy this receiver! You will not find a better one for the money!
I don't like doing a reveiw on a product after only owning it for a month - so far, "certainly" does everything I need it to do: "Rock the House" 7.1 DTS Tru HD Master audio. yes, after spending a lot of $$$ on components "I have my own Theatre downstairs" works exceptionally Well!
What a beauty! With five HDMI jacks, I have connected all my A/V gadgets including my Wii to it.
On most programs i have to turn it up to 40 to begin hearing it dosent have the power i was hoping for. I have a atlantic technology 5.1 system, nice features for the price just wish it has more juice
Lots of goodies. I'd considered a 5.1 Receiver but a slight rewiring of my surround speakers allowed a 7.1. Very glad I upgraded. If your active subwoofer has an auto-on feature, using the Front L/R or Center binding post (speaker or high-level) outputs instead of the Subwoofer (RCA) jack will speed turn-on and minimize the chance or level of ground-loop-induced hum. If connected to multiple HDMI devices, you may want to defeat Synchronized Power ON/OFF on all the units.
Please note, this is my fifth (5th) Pioneer receiver in the past 35 years. Never had one problem ever with a Pioneer receiver. I bought this receiver for several reasons: 1) P R I C E
3) Made for iPod Certified - Charges Ipod while listening to music
4) HDMI - 4 Inputs - 1 Output
5) On-Screen Display
6) Multi-Channel Acoustic Calibration system (MCACC) - SUPERB FEATURE
7) 3D Capabilities - Although I have never used 3D
8) Spectacular 1080p High-definition Video
9) Advanced Surround I currently have the Pioneer VSX-516 and VSX-710S (well sell this one) and keep the other two. Having used Pioneer receiver's for 35+ years, I know them very well. The Pioneer VSX-921-K purchase here far exceeded my expectations. The ability to connect multiple components using just one HDMI Cord for each one, that is GREAT. I currently used this receiver with AT&T U-Verse (superb product from AT&T), Sony Bravia KDL-55BX520 (nice TV for the money, thanks Sony), and a Samsung BD-D5700 Blu Ray Player (nice player with Internet Apps - Thanks Samsung) and a Logitech Harmony 650 remote (MUST HAVE ITEM). The way the Pioneer VSX-921-K interfaces ALL of these DEVICES is superb indeed. When listening to Pandora through the Samsung Blu Ray Player, the audio is indeed SUPERB. With the Blu Ray Player I have the ability to interface with Net-flex and other APPS, which is great. If your looking for a superb audio video receiver to add to your stereo setup, do not hesitate to purchase this item. For the sale price of $229.98 (current price at Wal-Mart) it's the best deal on an audio video receiver in the USA marketplace. I am WELL PLEASED with this receiver.
I purchase this as a replacement of a SONY (DH-STR810 7.1 channel) that also had HDMIs. SONY had to many issues in not handling hdmi TV, constantly kept switching off. Return to Walmart (best return policy out there) and ended up purchasing the Panasonic based on various reviews. While the hdmi works better (although it flakes out when going from a regular channel to a HD channel turns the screen purple, sometimes it will auto correct, other times I have to shut it off and back on). My main concern is that it seems to have under power sound out to my Onkyo speakers (7). while watching TV the volume needs to be at 40+ to be heard at a decent level. My Non HDMI Onkyo receiver could have the volume set at 22-25. The plus is that there is a ton of inputs. Hookup was straight forward and for the most part the manual answer questions. There are tons of sound listening combinations (to many), I was hoping for the no brainier where the Panasonic would recognize the type of program or movie being viewed and auto select. I'll give it another month before I make my final decision as to whether or not to keep it.
- Great sound. Easy to set up. Cons:
- HDMI standby pass through feature only works with HDMI CEC devices
- The model number VSX-921-K is very close to the European model number VSX-921. A warning to others -- don't get confused between the two models when you are doing your online research. The European model is equivelant to the North American VSX-1021-K.
- The optional Bluetooth adapter AS-BT200 has a very short range of 8-10 feet.
- The HDMI input are pre-named and there is no way to change the names (Video1, BD, DVD, DVR/BDR)
Great Sound. Puts out excellent, club-quality sound. Worth the extra money to purchase this. I just wish it were a little more user-friendly, but once you're used to it, it will surprise you.
Buying this Receiver proved to me I don't have to spend huge amount of money to own quality! Wonderfully powerful.
Already had a Pioneer A/V receiver but needed this one for the 3D surround sound
Great looks, excellent build quality and a historic brand make the 921-K a wonderful purchase
Seriously, I feel like I am cheating the store out of money! This monster receiver is priced too low! Thanls WM for such a low price on such a wonderful receiver.
i really can not say much about this item other than.i returned it because it was a pain to operate . it does not have a hdmi input associated with the tv input. so i had to use the hdmi input for video one. but when i did this this unit has some type of auto input sensor and when i turned on the tv it would automaticly switch its input select to tv. i would then have to switch the input back to video one. this might be due to the lack of my tech skills.but the fact still remains no hdmi input for tv only rgb and if you have like me hdmi out from your sat box this is a problem.
Loaded with features, this receiver will give the professional ones a run for their money! Superbly engineered. It impresses me every time I engage it!
Almost like the professial ones. it has so many features- Wow! I love it.
For all that this receiver is capable of, it should have been priced way higher! Good for me that it is not!!
The HDMI does not work right, bad picture sizing, direct from device works fine. Also, the audio is very quiet in pro-logic mode, but loud in stereo. No audio at all for an hour, just playing with settings, then all of a sudden worked.
Great sound for my 5.1 speaker arrangement. I love how this receiver calibrates itself. It takes a lot of the guesswork out of adjusting the speakers for movie dialogue, music, and action flicks. It's connectivity to the iPad is kind of cool, but a little primitive. I wish I could play my iTunes movies through this receiver, but I haven't been able to do so yet. For the price though, this was way more receiver than I was expecting! Thanks Walmart.