The Big Boss Rapid Wave Oven was recommended to me by a friend a little over a year ago, and since she's pretty honest about the quality of the products she tries out, I decided to go ahead and purchase one. Here's my list of pros and cons experience during the past year: PROS:
- There is no need to preheat this unit as opposed to a regular oven, therefore saving time and electricity.
- I've been able to cook frozen chicken breasts and have them turn out moist and delicious (and cooked the whole way through#.
- It's perfect for making a few frozen chicken patties, battered fish filets, fries, etc. in a hurry.
- Having two racks at different levels makes it possible to cook several different items at once.
- I can easily see the food as it's cooking, and can check the temperature often without worrying about letting all the heat out as with a regular oven.
- I find the glass bowl and racks easy to clean baked-on food off of.
- The lid has a nice safety feature that will not allow the heating element to come on unless the handle is clicked down into place.
- The extender ring gives you even more space for cooking, or just space between the heating element and the food if you don't want things to brown too quickly. CONS:
- The unit is quite large, and since I have inadequate cabinet space for storing it, I find the best place to keep this oven is actually inside my regular oven #hah#.
- Cooking on a tray rather than the racks is practically only possible if you have a small square tray or an 8x8 round cake pan, etc. that will fit in the round glass bowl.
- Some foods require a bit of "experimenting" with until you figure out just the right temperature and time to make them come out ok.
- The glass bowl is a bit heavy and awkward for washing #though I do end up using it as a dish pan for washing all my other dishes in before I wash the bowl itself#.
- There is no way to make the timer stop if you're finished cooking and have extra time set, even if you unplug the unit, other than by forcing it back to the "OFF" position. This makes for surprise "DING!"s after I've sat down to eat my dinner. Overall, I find the cons to be relatively minor in comparison to the pros of having this machine. It has consistently made delicious food and saved a lot of energy #as well as time# in my house. Yes, sometimes you need to do some testing to figure out how to cook certain foods in this oven, but if you have some patience and use some common sense, you will be well rewarded. I suggest keeping a journal of recipes you've tried that includes the time and temperature at which you cooked them, which rack#s# you used, and if you used the extender ring or not. It'll save you a lot of trouble the next time you make that meal. Have fun with it--it's a neat product, and you can do a lot with it!
Was this review helpful? (37) (1)
Thank you! You have successfully submitted feedback for this review.