The Bayco BAR2030B2 light is an excellent, durable, and very versatile light, thin, reasonably easy to maneuver around equipment, and has a broad and bright 24-LED grid which spreads light around parts being illuminated. The illumination face is made of scratch resistant (but still scratchable) polycarbonate, and the plastic body of the light has a thin black rubber coating which improves grip and resists scuffing. Battery life is excellent, giving more than an hour and a half of continuous service in my use. Intermittently I have used it all day between charges. Also, it has two powerful magnets, one inset in the back of the case and another inset into the top of the case with a separate plastic hook magnetically attached by the top magnet. Both magnets are strong enough to support the light on stable (non-moving) flat-faced steel or iron assemblies. Also, the light has two illumination settings: all LEDs bright and all LEDs half-intensity. The single pushbutton switch on the back is durable and weather (and sweat) proofed. When the light is charging, a single red LED just underneath the main LED grid indicates a charge is in progress. The single red LED is unlit when not charging or charging is completed. The interesting:
The Bayco BAR2030B2 comes with a high-quality plastic stand which can be used on level surfaces where magnetic mounting isn't practical. The light fits snugly and securely into the stand and looks good on a desk when the light is charging. The only issue with the base is it's narrowness relative to the high center of gravity of the light when attached--in work use it has an occasional tendency to fall over in windy conditions. The bad:
The coaxial male jack on the side readily accepts coaxial female plugs commonly used in 12V automotive applications, and the Bayco BAR2030B2 is commonly used in automotive maintenance settings. However, any charge voltage over 8V (that's *eight* volts), will cook a 64 Ohm resistor (R6) on the light's main board in a few minutes of what appears to initially be normal charging. The resistor can be replaced with a 68 Ohm unit from Radio Shack as a repair, but still, the 8V charger must be used or the unit will charge for a couple minutes before giving off a odor of burning electronics, then ending the charge. When buying this unit, please take a moment with a metallic pen or label and make clear to any users that it only charges at 8V and 12V will quietly burn it out. Overall:
This is a great light. You'll love it.
Was this review helpful? (14) (0)
Thank you! You have successfully submitted feedback for this review.