We received this game as well as a second set of sensors to play two player. I have had the game for about a month and here is what I have found so far. The Good:
* Lots of different workouts make for great variety. Some are short, some are longer so they make it easy to get a workout several times per week.
* With the accessory pack it's a lot of fun to play with 2 people. You really push each other and make it easier to work yourself to the limit.
* In the biking it gives a really fun way to do squats
* Kickboxing is a BLAST
* Tracks everything online so you can get a lot of info about how you are doing from your computer instead of having to log into the game (when it works, see below). The Bad:
* Once you pick a trainer, no way to change it.
* My spouse started playing before I realized we even had the game at the house and was on my PSN profile since that's what auto-logs in on our machine. Once we realized all the data was stored under me because it uses PSN profiles instead of in-game profiles we wanted to get rid of the data and start over but there is no way to do that.
* The sensors have some serious lag. Quite often I have to stand in a pose for several seconds before it recognizes that I'm there which at times is rather painful (reverse situps hurt like crazy sitting there for 10 seconds while it's deciding that I'm actually there) and at others are just annoying.
* We have 2 different profiles playing here, mine connects to the EAS active 2 website to upload my data just fine, but my husbands won't connect at all. He has been working with the technical support at EA for about 3 weeks now and after going over the same steps over and over (they kept trying to blame it on my home network, then on my firewall, then on random routers on the internet dropping packets) they finally came down to "the website part is beta and we don't offer support for products that are still in beta. Yeah, nice that a feature that is listed all over the box, in the documentation, and inside the game itself is still "beat" without being listed that way and is hit and miss at best. Great work there EA! *rolls eyes*
* If you are playing 2 player only the person logged into the PS3 gets the saved workout. It does track the calories lost and everything, but won't count toward your workouts toward the 9 week challenge.
* For the 9 week challenge you have to workout 4 days a week minimum. Each workout for that challenge is about 30+ minutes so makes it a little more difficult to complete those (I missed quite a few of the workouts in that). You are also less likely to be consistent where you are required to do the 30 minute workouts so often.
* Lag between workouts is rather annoying. Heart rate drops quite a bit while just standing there waiting for the next one to load. Overall, I really like the game. Everything works in game great (other than some lag in sensors) and I really enjoy playing it. If you are some insane health nut (do P90X, marathons, etc) then this probably isn't going to be some earth shattering workout for you... but the rest of us it seems to do a great job with. Even with those in shape I think if you added some heavy ankle weights, some wrist weights, and used free weights instead of the stretchy bands you would still get a decent workout though.
Was this review helpful? (20) (3)
Thank you! You have successfully submitted feedback for this review.