This live recording was made in Edinburgh's Usher Hall in 1961 when the conductor was 47 years old. It features Mussorgsky's virtuoso showpiece 'Pictures at an Exhibition' and Tchaikovsky's lyric, expressive Symphony No. 6. Giulini has a particular knowledge of the Mussorgsky because one of his composition projects while he was a student was to orchestrate the original piano score. At the time, he was not familiar with Ravel's orchestration, which is employed here. Giulini exploits the lyric possibilities in the suite, which are often obscured by the work's sheer technical demands.
The second featured work, Tchaikovsky's Symphony No. 6, is a vehicle for all of Giulini's finest gifts, not the least of which is his ability to pace a performance so that the overall structure makes sense to the listener. Giulini's tempo for the third movement is faster than what is usually heard and is quite thrilling. The album as a whole is very illuminating in that it was recorded live in the pre-digital era and presents an unedited example of a conductor's work, complete with the ambiance of the hall including the audience rustling between movements, and, of course, applause.
About this item
About this item
About this item
Carlo Maria Giulini - Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 6 Path Tique; Mussorgsky: Pictures at an Exhibition [CD] 68491140232 Music
Carlo Maria Giulini - Conducts Tchaikovsky/Mussorgsk (CD NEW)
Label: Bbc Legends
Release Date: 28 Mar 2000
No. of Discs: 1
1. Pictures At An Exhibition: Promenade. Allegro Giusto, Nel Modo Russico; Senza Allegrezza, Ma Poco...
2. Pictures At An Exhibition: I. Gnomus. Vivo
3. Pictures At An Exhibition: Promenade. Moderato Comodo E Con Delicatezza
4. Pictures At An Exhibition: II. Il Vecchio Castello. Andante
5. Pictures At An Exhibition: Promenade. Moderato Non Tanto, Pesante
6. Pictures At An Exhibition: III. Tuileries. Allegretto Non Troppo, Capriccioso
7. Pictures At An Exhibition: IV. Bydlo. Sempre Moderato, Pesante
8. Pictures At An Exhibition: Promenade. Tranquillo
9. Pictures At An Exhibition: V. Ballet Des Poussins Dans Leur Coques. Scherzino: Vivo Leggiero
10. Pictures At An Exhibition: VI. Samuel Goldenberg Und Schmuyle. Andante
11. Pictures At An Exhibition: VII. Limoges - Le Marche. Allegretto Vivo, Sempre Scherzando
12. Pictures At An Exhibition: VIII. Catacombae: Sepulchrum Romanum. Largo
13. Pictures At An Exhibition: Cum Mortuis In Lingua Mortua. Andante Non Troppo, Con Lamento
14. Pictures At An Exhibition: IX. La Cabane Sur Des Pattes De Poule (Baba-Yaga). Andante Con Brio...
15. Pictures At An Exhibition: X. La Grande Porte De Kiev. Allegro Alla Breve. Maestoso. Con Grandezza
16. Sym No.6 in b, Op.74 'Pathetique': I. Adagio - Allegro Non Troppo
17. Sym No.6 in b, Op.74 'Pathetique': II. Allegro Con Grazia
18. Sym No.6 in b, Op.74 'Pathetique': III. Allegro Molto Vivace
19. Sym No.6 in b, Op.74 'Pathetique': IV. Finale. Adagio Lamentoso - Andante
|Record Label:||BBC Legends|
|Assembled Product Dimensions (L x W x H):||3.50 x 5.00 x 0.30 Inches|
Ask a question