Similar items in stock
Customers also viewed these products
About this item
About this item
The WD My Passport 500GB Portable External Hard Drive, Black can help keep all your important computer files secure. This device will protect all your fond memories and important documents from crashed computers with its automatic backup software. The WD My Passport 500GB Portable Hard Drive features expanded digital storage and plug and play connectivity. This device is essential for any laptop owner, because it allows them to easily back up their files so that they will not be accidentally deleted or destroyed if the laptop crashes. You can use the password protection and hardware encryption to protect your files from unauthorized access. This WD My Passport Portable External Hard Drive comes with a USB cable, WD SmartWare Pro software, a soft carrying pouch and a quick start guide. Store up to 100,000 photos, 125,000 songs or 38 hours of video all in one secure drive. The WD My Passport 500GB Portable External Hard Drive is compatible with Windows XP and later.
WD My Passport Ultra 500GB Portable External Hard Drive:
- Expanded digital storage
- USB 3.0/2.0 interface
- Fast transfer speeds
- Automatic and cloud backup
- Plug and play
Up to 100,000
Up to 125,000 songs
Up to 38 hours
- Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8
- Mac OS X (requires formatting)
- Hard Drive
- USB Cable
- WD SmartWare Pro software
- Soft pouch
- Quick Start Guide
- 3-year warranty
- 800 toll-free phone number for 24/7 customer service support
|Hard Drive Capacity:||500 GB|
|System Requirements:||Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, Mac OS X|
|Connector Type:||1 x USB 2.0/USB 3.0|
|Motherboard Form Factor:||Portable|
|Is Dark Sky-Compliant:||Y|
|Compatible Devices:||PC , Mac|
|Manufacturer Part Number:||WDBPGC5000ABK-NESN|
|Assembled Product Dimensions (L x W x H):||4.75 x 2.75 x 6.75 Inches|
Ask a question
- This drive runs slower than your laptop's internal drive. (I have a 9yo 90GB Vaio that I use it with.) Your programs will run much slower if they are installed on the Passport. Your best bet is to keep the programs installed on your laptop internal HD, and set your program data storage (documents, pictures, videos, etc.) files on this drive. I keep all my video files on the Passport so I can view them on any of my computers.by RealTime1/8/2016Was this answer helpful? (0) (0)Was this answer helpful?
- YES, no problemby AzRiverWalker3/23/2014Was this answer helpful? (0) (0)Was this answer helpful?
- An external hard drive such as this is usually used for backup file protection, but may also be used for storage, allowing you to free up hard drive space.by CommunityAnswer3/10/2015Was this answer helpful? (2) (0)Was this answer helpful?
- The "automatic backup" program that comes with this was a pain. Even when I had it set to keep just one copy of the files, it got full (500GB) backing up a desktop with two 160GB hard drives (320GB), and that did not include backing up the OS and programs; the only apparent backups were of file types it recognized (documents, pictures, etc.) and only made them available in that format. I removed the program that came with it, reformatted the drive, and use it for manual backups. Works great. Drag and drop, and take a nap. If you need real-time backups of the documents it recognizes, then use the automatic program - but then that decision would have been made by your IT department.by RealTime1/8/2016Was this answer helpful? (0) (0)Was this answer helpful?
- Yes! I am a IT guy and I use this to back up both as well. As long as your backup does not exceed the hard drive storage limit. You may need the 1TB if you have a lot of films that you are going to back up. If you are using Norton 360 you can run a automatic backup to the external drive. Hope this helped you out. Best regards, Frankby Frankeiii6/20/2014Was this answer helpful? (1) (0)Was this answer helpful?
- It depends on how large your laptop and desktop drives are. This product only holds 500 GB so please check how much space you have used on your devices.by CommunityAnswer6/19/2014Was this answer helpful? (1) (0)Was this answer helpful?
- 5200rpmby Frankeiii1/8/2014Was this answer helpful? (0) (0)Was this answer helpful?
- Frank,The RPM is dependent on the type of internal drive that is located within the enclosure as the type of drive may vary. For more information please see the following link: wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1704.by WDSupport12/12/2013Written by a verified representative from WDSupportWas this answer helpful? (0) (0)Was this answer helpful?