About This Item
This visionary reframing of health and healthcare uses a complexity science approach to building healthcare systems that are accessible, effective, and prepared for change and challenges. Its holistic map for understanding the human organism emphasizes the interconnectedness of the individual's physical, psychological, cognitive, and sociocultural functioning. Applications of this approach are described in primary, specialist, and emergency care and at the organizational and policy levels, from translating findings to practice, to problem solving and evaluation. In this model, the differences between disease and illness and treating illness and restoring health are not mere wordplay, but instead are robust concepts reflecting real-world issues and their solutions.
Based on the Proceedings of the 1st International Conference of Systems and Complexity for Healthcare, topics covered include:
- Coping with complexity and uncertainty: insights from studying epidemiology in family medicine
- Anticipation in complex systems: potential implications for improving safety and quality in healthcare
- Monitoring variability and complexity at the bedside
- Viewing mental health through the lens of complexity science
- Ethical complexities in systems healthcare: what care and for whom?
- The value of systems and complexity thinking to enable change in adaptive healthcare organizations supported by informatics
- If the facts don't fit the theory, change the theory: implications for health system reform
The Value of Systems and Complexity Sciences for Healthcare will interest and inspire health and disease researchers, health professionals, health care planners, health system financiers, health system administrators, health services administrators, health professional educators, and, last but not least, current and future patients. The Value of Systems and Complexity Sciences for Healthcare (Hardcover)
Springer International Publishing
|Number of Pages|
Joachim P Sturmberg
|Assembled Product Dimensions (L x W x H)|
9.00 x 6.00 x 1.50 Inches
Get specific details about this product from customers who own it.
Ask a question