The Fairy Tale World - eBook
About This Item
The Fairy Tale World is a definitive volume on this ever-evolving field. The book draws on recent critical attention, contesting romantic ideas about timeless tales of good and evil, and arguing that fairy tales are culturally astute narratives that reflect the historical and material circumstances of the societies in which they are produced. The Fairy Tale World takes a uniquely global perspective and broadens the international, cultural, and critical scope of fairy-tale studies. Throughout the five parts, the volume challenges the previously Eurocentric focus of fairy-tale studies, with contributors looking at:
• the contrast between traditional, canonical fairy tales and more modern reinterpretations;
• responses to the fairy tale around the world, including works from every continent;
• applications of the fairy tale in diverse media, from oral tradition to the commercialized films of Hollywood and Bollywood;
• debates concerning the global and local ownership of fairy tales, and the impact the digital age and an exponentially globalized world have on traditional narratives;
• the fairy tale as told through art, dance, theatre, fan fiction, and film.
This volume brings together a selection of the most respected voices in the field, offering ground-breaking analysis of the fairy tale in relation to ethnicity, colonialism, feminism, disability, sexuality, the environment, and class. An indispensable resource for students and scholars alike, The Fairy Tale World seeks to discover how such a traditional area of literature has remained so enduringly relevant in the modern world.The Fairy Tale World - eBook
|Read This On|
|Is Downloadable Content Available|
|Digital Reader Format|
Get specific details about this product from customers who own it.