Check out these related products
- $12.08 List price $16.95Save $4.87
- $26.08 List price $37.50Save $11.42
- $11.86 Was $14.88Save $3.02
- $13.49 List price $18.95Save $5.46
- $11.72 Was $14.58Save $2.86
- $11.42 List price $17.00Save $5.58
- $13.34 Was $14.35Save $1.01
- $13.68 Was $15.02Save $1.34
- $14.88 Was $18.07Save $3.19
- $13.84 Was $14.73Save $0.89
About this item
About this item
Important Made in USA Origin Disclaimer: For certain items sold by Walmart on Walmart.com, the displayed country of origin information may not be accurate or consistent with manufacturer information. For updated, accurate country of origin data, it is recommended that you rely on product packaging or manufacturer information.
The riveting story of the slave ship "Whydah, "captured by pirates and later sunk in a fierce storm off the coast of Massachusetts, energizes this lavish companion book to a unique exhibition on a five-year U.S. tour. Packed with plunder from more than 50 captured ships, the "Whydah" was discovered by underwater explorer Barry Clifford in 1984. Now, for the first time, its treasure holds are unlocked for public view.
More than 200 items were retrieved from the ocean floor: the telltale ship's bell, inscribed "Whydah Galley 1716"; coins and jewelry, buttons and cufflinks; muskets, cannons, and swords; everyday objects including teakettles and tableware, gaming tokens, and clay pipes. The artifacts provide an unprecedented glimpse into the raucous world of 18th-century pirating and shed light on the link between the slave trade and piracy during those tumultuous times.
Built to transport human captives from Africa to the Caribbean, the "Whydah" made one such voyage before being captured in 1717 by Sam Bellamy, the boldest pirate of his day. Two months later, in one of the worst nor'easters ever, the ship sank, drowning all but 2 of the 146 people aboard. For anyone intrigued by the lore of piracy, the mystery of shipwrecks, or the sad and salty intertwining of slave and pirate history, "Real Pirates" has the answers.
National Geographic supports K-12 educators with ELA Common Core Resources.
Visit www.natgeoed.org/commoncore for more information.
|Number of Pages:||175|
|Subject:||SLAVE TRADE_AFRICA , PIRATES , SHIPWRECKS , BUCCANEERS|
|Author:||Clifford, Barry , Kinkor, Kenneth J. , Simpson, Sharon/|
|Publisher:||Random House Inc|
|Assembled Product Dimensions (L x W x H):||8.00 x 9.50 x 0.50 Inches|
Ask a question
If you would like to share feedback with us about pricing, delivery or other customer service issues, please contact customer service directly.
Questions will be checked against our question guidelines and posted within five to seven business days.
Consider these popular products
- $18.00 List price $30.00Save $12.00
- $10.46 Was $11.68Save $1.22
- $6.29 Was $6.99Save $0.70
- $9.52 List price $16.00Save $6.48
- $12.91 List price $15.99Save $3.08
- $23.64 List price $36.95Save $13.31
- $12.62 List price $15.99Save $3.37
- $12.31 List price $16.99Save $4.68
- $14.54 Was $16.88Save $2.34
- $11.79 List price $17.00Save $5.21
- $14.97 Was $16.27Save $1.30