Check out these related products
- $17.32 List price $21.99Save $4.67
- $15.81 Was $17.55Save $1.74
- $9.27 Was $11.17Save $1.90
- $14.77 List price $15.95Save $1.18
- $12.23 Was $13.20Save $0.97
- $12.76 List price $16.00Save $3.24
- $27.00 List price $35.00Save $8.00
- $21.44 List price $24.99Save $3.55
- $18.83 List price $27.99Save $9.16
- $16.40 List price $18.95Save $2.55
- $15.50 List price $26.99Save $11.49
- $8.07 List price $14.95Save $6.88
About this item
About this item
Important Made in USA Origin Disclaimer: For certain items sold by Walmart on Walmart.com, the displayed country of origin information may not be accurate or consistent with manufacturer information. For updated, accurate country of origin data, it is recommended that you rely on product packaging or manufacturer information.
A fascinating tour of "grifting" takes readers deep into the sleazy but compelling world of gamblers, grifters, and con artists who hustle for a living, offering writings by David Mamet, Saul Bellow, Jorge Luis Borges, Nelson Algren, Hunter S. Thompson, Nick Tosches, Harlan Ellison, Roald Dahl, and other authors. Original.
Once I hear the clatter of chips I almost go into convulsions," said Dostoyevsky, while Anatole France wrote, "The gambler is driven by the fascination of danger at the bottom of all great passions." The characters the reader meets in Players-chess grand masters, poolroom hustlers, or street-hardened practitioners of the short con-are all alike propelled by the ecstasy of risk. "The stake is money," France wrote, "in other words, immediate, infinite possibilities." In fact, as the reader hooks up with David Mamet in the poker room and meets Damon Runyon's Bookie Bob, Saul Bellow's immortal Yellow Kid, and learns from Herbert Asbury about the antics of Izzy and Moe, and from David Maurer about the discreet charm of the confidence man, Walter Tevis on Fast Eddie Felson and Minnesota Fats on the seductions of nineteenth-century gambling dens, high lives and low will merge and the world of gambler and con-artist will blur. Selected writings by Jorge Luis Borges, Hunter S. Thompson, Nick Tosches, and many others are featured.
|Editor:||Hyde, Stephen , Zanetti, Geno|
|Number of Pages:||397|
|Subject:||SWINDLERS AND SWINDLING , GAMBLING|
|Author:||Hyde, Stephen , Zanetti, Geno|
|Publisher:||Perseus Books Group|
Ask a question
If you would like to share feedback with us about pricing, delivery or other customer service issues, please contact customer service directly.
Questions will be checked against our question guidelines and posted within five to seven business days.
Consider these popular products
- $17.60 List price $24.95Save $7.35
- $6.79 List price $7.99Save $1.20
- $7.19 List price $7.99Save $0.80
- $20.46 List price $23.99Save $3.53
- $9.48 List price $15.95Save $6.47
- $13.35 List price $14.95Save $1.60