Although less dominant now than when I was a student, Ludwig Wittgenstein's thoughts from the "Tractatus" to the "Untersuchungen" influence all my philosophical thinking. As a student I could only afford the English translation of the 2nd edn and it is now a much worn volume, and I was delighted to buy this new 3rd edition. Even 'though it represents the second revision of Elizabeth Anscombe's thoughts on the German text, it is good to be able to compare her version with the original German. It is a book that can be read in three ways. Sometimes I will read it from cover to cover. Other times one can read just a group of sections on a specific topic, say the rules for use being the meaning of a word. Lastly I can light my pipe, sit by the fire and read a few sections at random - it always generates new ideas. In this it has an unexpected affinity with a volume of poems. Wittgenstein is not everybody's cup of tea, but he is mine, and if one is open-minded, this work, along with the Tractatus and the Remarks on Mathematics, has something to offer to all. By the way, although LibraryThing classifies this work as German philodophy, Wittgenstein, like several Logical Positivists, was an Austrian.
Philosophical Investigations (Hardcover)
Arrives by Tue, Feb 25
Ships to San Leandro, 1919 Davis St
About This Item
- The extensively revised English translation incorporates many hundreds of changes to Anscombe's original translation
- Footnoted remarks in the earlier editions have now been relocated in the text
- What was previously referred to as 'Part 2' is now republished as Philosophy of Psychology - A Fragment, and all the remarks in it are numbered for ease of reference
- New detailed editorial endnotes explain decisions of translators and identify references and allusions in Wittgenstein's original text
- Now features new essays on the history of the Philosophical Investigations, and the problems of translating Wittgenstein's text
|Number of Pages|
Ludwig Wittgenstein; P M S Hacker; Joachim Schulte
|Assembled Product Dimensions (L x W x H)|
9.00 x 6.00 x 1.50 Inches
Get specific details about this product from customers who own it.