Check out these related products
- $17.05 List price $20.99Save $3.94
- $14.46 List price $19.95Save $5.49
- $20.03 List price $21.99Save $1.96
- $9.84 List price $14.00Save $4.16
- $15.67 List price $22.00Save $6.33
- $15.16 List price $16.00Save $0.84
- $11.95 List price $17.00Save $5.05
- $13.88 List price $19.00Save $5.12
- $11.30 List price $17.00Save $5.70
- $9.86 List price $17.00Save $7.14
- $10.49 List price $13.99Save $3.50
- $9.48 Was $11.16Save $1.68
- $13.60 List price $16.00Save $2.40
- $16.15 List price $25.00Save $8.85
About this item
About this item
Cites the evolution of luxury-based consumerism , seeking to define the category itself while considering luxury from a manufacturing and customer perspective and drawing conclusions on the economic impact of luxury spending. Reprint. 35,000 first printing.
"Luxury isn't just for the rich, " says James B. Twitchell. Today you don't need a six-figure income to wear pashmina, drink a limited-edition coffee at Starbucks, or drive a Mercedes home to collapse on the couch in front of a flat-screen plasma TV. In "Living It Up, " sharp-eyed consumer anthropologist Twitchell takes a witty and insightful look at luxury -- what it is, who defines it, and why we can't seem to get enough of it.
In recent years, says Twitchell, luxury spending has grown much faster than overall spending -- and it continues to grow despite the economic recession. Luxury has become such a powerful marketing force that it cuts across every layer of society, spawning a magazine devoted to spas, cashmere bedspreads on sale at Kmart, and a dazzling array of bottled waters.
Twitchell says that the democratization of luxury has had a unifying effect on culture. Luxury items tell a story that we want to identify with, and more people than ever aspire to the story of Ralph Lauren's Polo or Patek Philippe. Shopping itself is no longer a chore but a transcendent experience in which we shop not so much for goods as for an identity.
Sharply observed and wickedly funny, "Living It Up" is a revealing and entertaining examination of why we are all part of the cult of luxury.
|Number of Pages:||320|
|Number in Series:||1|
|Subject:||MARKETING , CONSUMERS|
|Author:||Twitchell, James B.|
|Publisher:||Simon & Schuster|
Ask a question
Consider these popular products
- $10.01 List price $13.99Save $3.98
- $15.95 List price $27.99Save $12.04
- $21.49 List price $30.00Save $8.51
- $19.44 List price $27.99Save $8.55
- $14.20 List price $20.00Save $5.80
- $16.34 List price $22.95Save $6.61
- $9.13 List price $16.00Save $6.87
- $12.82 Was $14.95Save $2.13
- $15.13 List price $15.95Save $0.82
- $17.75 List price $22.00Save $4.25
- $12.24 List price $15.00Save $2.76