This is my second. My mom kidnapped my first one as a way of speaking. These devices are a great substitute for a smart TV and even better because they are easy to use.
About This Item
Cast your favorite entertainment from your phone, tablet, or laptop straight to the TV.
- A better way to get video, music, and games to your TV
- With Chromecast, your phone is your remote
- simply tap the Cast button in your apps to start watching on the TV
- Search, play, pause, and more, right from your phone
- Unlimited entertainment, all on your schedule
- Choose from over 200,000 TV shows and movies, 30 million songs, plus radio, sports, games and more
- Discover thousands of apps at chromecast.com/apps
- Mirror your Android phone screen or Chrome browser*
- For apps that are not Cast-enabled, use your Android* phone or tablet to display exactly what's on your screen to the TV
- you can also mirror your laptop's Chrome browser to the TV
- Plug in and play
- Get started in 3 easy steps: Chromecast works with the devices you already own
- Plug it into the back of your HDTV, connect it to your WiFi network, and start casting from your phone, tablet, or laptop
- Fresh new look, better performance
- The new Chromecast has higher video resolution and less buffering, thanks to the state-of-the-art WiFi architecture
- The new integrated design also makes it even easier to plug into crowded HDMI ports without the need for adapters or extension cables
- Your one-stop shop to discover content
- The Chromecast app has been updated to make it a destination where you can browse featured content across your apps, search for your favorite movies and TV shows and see where to watch them
- plus, you can find the latest on new apps, offers, and features
- Even more Cast-enabled apps to enjoy
- Now you can cast thousands of apps across videos, sports, music, games and more...enjoy recent additions like Spotify, NFL Sunday Ticket by DirecTV, YouTube Kids, Google Photos and favorites like Netflix, HBO Now and Pandora
- More ways to customize your TV screen
- The same feature that allows you to transform your TV screen into a dynamic backdrop now has more customizable options
- Display personal photos from Facebook and Flickr, or beautiful images from 500px and Getty Images
- New choices for game night
- With new Cast-enabled games coming soon like Angry Birds" Go!, WGT" Golf and Driver Speedboat Paradise, plus favorites like Just Dance Now and SCRABBLE" Blitz, you can turn your TV screen into a game board, racetrack, dance floor or trivia quiz
- Everyone can play using their own phone as their personal game controller
What's in the box:
- Power cable
- Power adapter
- TV with an HDMI port
- WiFi network
- Google streaming device is a compatible computer or mobile device.
- Supported OS and devices: Android 4.1+, iOS 7.0+, Windows 7, or Mac OS X 10.7, ChromeOS
Availability and performance of certain features, services and applications are devices- and network-dependent and may not be available in all areas
*Mirroring works with most Android devices
proposition 65 reasons:titanium dioxide, other chemicals
Explore this item
Inexpensive and Works Well, Exactly As Advertised
The Google Chromecast seems to me to be the easiest and least expensive way to get into casting and streaming. The low cost doesn't mean "cheap", the device is technically up-to-date with plenty of memory. It does everything it says it will do and does it flawlessly. I've used it intensively---mainly with Netflix---without a single problem. Pros: (1) It is inexpensive and simple to install; (2) TV connects dependably to the Google Home app, which is also easily downloaded; (3) Zero tech problems so far, great picture on my 50" TV, no buffering or any play interruptions or glitches whatsoever. Cons: (1) Remember, it doesn't come with a remote but that is a trivial concern because play control is via your iOS or Android device; (2) Keep in mind that Play controls are limited to play/pause and quick 30-second jump rewind---no fast-forward or full rewind. I use my regular TV remote to control volume. I recommend Chromecast without any reservations, it is a bargain and works like a charm. Thanks for considering my comments.
MUCH better than the previous model
Have had an original version of this and gave it away because of excessive buffering which made it a waste of money. This one...have it hooked up to my mini-projector and it works like a dream. Only had very little buffering and that was when I was doing quite a few other things at the same time on my PC. Unlike the original...Google has done away with the Chromecast app I was used to using in the Chrome browser and my tablet/smartphone. After a couple of hours of trying to get it to work...finally found updated directions on how to use the browser from the PC. After this...was watching some TV shows from my TV tuner card. The worst part about this is the lack of updated documentation and the software since this has been released. With 35+ years of computer experience and running a media server to have to deal with the lack of clear directions because of upgrades is a travesty and needs to be better communicated for an absolute beginner.
Great Streaming Device
I own a Vizio smart TV that is several years old. It has good streaming capability built in but there is some content that is not available. The new Vizio TVs come with Chromecast built-in. I decided to buy the Chromecast to fill in some missing content and basically upgraded my Vizio for $25 instead of HUNDREDS. I got added content and I got all the extra features that Chromecast offers. I like the interface that Chromecast offers when I am not streaming from an app, there are some incredible images. I like that I don't have to open an extra app to stream from my Android phone. I was already using Google's Photos to store my pictures and Photos is fully integrated with Chromecast which makes it easy to view and showcase my pics on the big screen. I am still exploring all the features and apps, but I feel my money was well spent and I am very impressed so far.
This product does exactly what it is advertised to do. It is VERY easy to set up and get operational. If you are cutting the cable, this is something you really should try. Of course when you get something that is nice, you think of ways to improve it. It would be sweet to be able to project any window or the entire desktop if on a PC to the TV but Windows ans Apple will probably never let others in. I have tried the Google Chromecast from my family room TV using an iPhone, Windows 10 PC and MAC. All work the same way and equally enjoyed. I will be getting 2 more for other areas in the house. I defiantly recommend this item.
Must have for your TV?
Makes it so easy to cast videos from your phone to TV - or audio from Pandora etc. to your home theater - chrome browser now has ChromeCasting built in, another plus - and, if your aren't casting, chromecast defaults to a slide show of your choosing - once set up, it responds instantly and effortlessly to what you want to do - best $35 you can spend on your home system
Cut the cord!
Got rid of cable an I am not looking back. Bought two of these for my two upstairs TV's. Got the smallest subscription to Playstation vue that really has all the channels I watch. Love that my kids can also cast their iPads to the TV and watch youtube videos on a bigger screen instead of the iPad. Makes sharing a lot easier too.
Easy & works
I'll be getting another. Simple and straightforward to use. Love it. No extra remotes to lose. Moved TV with satellite cable box (Dish joey) out of garage because it was hard to get a good signal & downloaded dish anywhere app. TV works great. Very pleased it works with my exercise app as well. It's easier to see the TV screen than my little phone. The app monitors heart rate via bluetooth so I had to make a few attempts at getting the best location so there isn't signal interference. I put the phone close to the TV & chromecast; the bluetooth heartrate monitor seems to overpower the cast signal. I also setup the heart rate monitor and then turn on the TV with casting so the device (phone) can find the heartrate signal, then hit cast and bingo! It works better with phone. Also found a way to use with Amazon fire tablet.
Fabulous Product--Need to Work on Installation
I would have absolutely given this 5-stars, but the installation was a bit awkward. I had to call them for support. They talked me through an alternative method for installation, which I used on all the computers with success. Their support is exceptional! They are real English-speaking people with great personalities and humorous. My husband LOVES this product and continues to rave about it.
All rounder, but not the best
I have been using XBox 360 for streaming YouTube, Netflix, and occasionally Amazon Prime Videos. Recently bought chromecast to enable casting and reducing wires and cables in my home, but my experience with casting wasn't as great as I expected it to be. For starters, netflix casting from my android mobile isnot really as smoothe as Netflix app on XBox. While browsing, play/pause or forward/rewind, the casting loses its context and comes back to main screen, which is really annoying. I watch streamed videos from my laptop on my TV using HDMI cable. I thought that casting such videos on TV without HDMI would save me some trouble setting up the cable etc, but the experience wasn't really nice. The videos, even though they stream fine on laptop, do not cast nicely on TV. There is a lot of jitter and lag, so much that I ended up using my HDMI cable again. note that I have a TWC's rented modem which is best in class, so wouldn't think that router or wireless network would be an issue. Overall, I haven't really found a good use for this except sometimes casting photos from mobile to TV, or the entire mobile screen for that matter.
Get specific details about this product from customers who own it.
Ask a question