Check out these related products
- $15.10 Was $16.95Save $1.85
- $10.65 List price $15.00Save $4.35
- $13.34 List price $16.00Save $2.66
- $15.65 List price $17.95Save $2.30
- $46.42 List price $65.00Save $18.58
- $26.32 List price $40.00Save $13.68
- $13.68 List price $17.95Save $4.27
- $10.60 Was $12.81Save $2.21
- $12.70 Was $13.81Save $1.11
- $12.21 List price $17.95Save $5.74
- $11.09 Was $11.84Save $0.75
- $13.46 Was $14.18Save $0.72
About this item
About this item
Important Made in USA Origin Disclaimer: For certain items sold by Walmart on Walmart.com, the displayed country of origin information may not be accurate or consistent with manufacturer information. For updated, accurate country of origin data, it is recommended that you rely on product packaging or manufacturer information.
FIGHTING FOR LIFE
New York's Lower East Side was said to be the most densely populated square mile on earth in the 1890s. Health inspectors called the neighborhood "the suicide ward." Diarrhea epidemics raged each summer, killing thousands of children. Sweatshop babies with smallpox and typhus dozed in garment heaps destined for fashionable shops. Desperate mothers paced the streets to soothe their feverish children and white mourning cloths hung from every building. A third of the children living there died before their fifth birthday.
By 1911, the child death rate had fallen sharply and "The New York Times" hailed the city as the healthiest on earth. In this witty and highly personal autobiography, public health crusader Dr. S. Josephine Baker explains how this transformation was achieved. By the time she retired in 1923, Baker was famous worldwide for saving the lives of 90,000 children. The programs she developed, many still in use today, have saved the lives of millions more. She fought for women's suffrage, toured Russia in the 1930s, and captured "Typhoid" Mary Mallon, twice. She was also an astute observer of her times, and "Fighting for Life" is one of the most honest, compassionate memoirs of American medicine ever written.
|Number of Pages:||264|
|Author:||Baker, S. Josephine , Epstein, Helen|
|Series Title:||New York Review Books Classics|
|Publisher:||Random House Inc|
|Assembled Product Dimensions (L x W x H):||5.25 x 8.25 x 0.75 Inches|
Ask a question
If you would like to share feedback with us about pricing, delivery or other customer service issues, please contact customer service directly.
Questions will be checked against our question guidelines and posted within five to seven business days.
Consider these popular products
- $20.83 List price $35.00Save $14.17
- $17.66 List price $27.99Save $10.33
- $11.06 List price $16.00Save $4.94
- $16.65 List price $27.99Save $11.34
- $17.83 List price $24.99Save $7.16
- $7.43 List price $7.99Save $0.56
- $9.52 List price $15.00Save $5.48
- $7.80 List price $9.99Save $2.19