Check out these related products
- $18.85 List price $24.95Save $6.10
- $21.20 List price $24.95Save $3.75
- $28.34 List price $29.95Save $1.61
- $31.38 List price $35.95Save $4.57
- $16.15 List price $18.95Save $2.80
- $32.12 List price $35.95Save $3.83
- $39.61 List price $55.00Save $15.39
- $17.34 List price $19.95Save $2.61
- $14.91 List price $17.95Save $3.04
- $11.73 List price $19.95Save $8.22
- $24.46 List price $35.95Save $11.49
- $29.39 List price $32.00Save $2.61
- $33.11 List price $35.00Save $1.89
- $14.73 List price $17.00Save $2.27
About this item
About this item
Important Made in USA Origin Disclaimer: For certain items sold by Walmart on Walmart.com, the displayed country of origin information may not be accurate or consistent with manufacturer information. For updated, accurate country of origin data, it is recommended that you rely on product packaging or manufacturer information.
This collection surveys the choreographic turn in the artistic imagination from the 1950s onwards, and in doing so outlines the philosophies of movement instrumental to the development of experimental dance. By introducing and discussing the concepts of embodiment and corporeality, choreopolitics, and the notion of dance in an expanded field, "Dance" establishes the aesthetics and politics of dance as a major impetus in contemporary culture. It offers testimonies and writings by influential visual artists whose work has taken inspiration from dance and choreography. Dance--because of its ephemerality, corporeality, precariousness, scoring, and performativity--is arguably the art form that most clearly engages the politics of aesthetics in contemporary culture. Dance's ephemerality suggests the possibility of an escape from the regimes of commodification and fetishization in the arts. Its corporeality can embody critiques of representation inscribed in bodies and subjects. Its precariousness underlines the fragility of contemporary states of being. Scoring links it with conceptual art, as language becomes the articulator for possible as well as impossible modes of action. Finally, because dance always establishes a contract, or promise, between its choreographic planning and its actualization in movement, it reveals an essential performativity in its aesthetic project--a central concern for both art and critical thought in our time.
|Number of Pages:||238|
|Series Title:||Whitechapel: Documents of Contemporary Art|
|Assembled Product Dimensions (L x W x H):||6.00 x 8.25 x 1.00 Inches|
Ask a question
If you would like to share feedback with us about pricing, delivery or other customer service issues, please contact customer service directly.
Questions will be checked against our question guidelines and posted within five to seven business days.
Consider these popular products
- $9.70 Was $11.44Save $1.74
- $5.39 List price $5.99Save $0.60
- $10.15 List price $12.99Save $2.84
- $8.91 Was $9.45Save $0.54
- $11.42 List price $16.95Save $5.53