I admit it took me over a year to be convinced to bite the bullet on my 5D Mark IV. I'd had the 5D Mark III since it was released and truly loved it. When my nephew became seriously interested in photography and was showing true potential I decided to pass down my lovely camera and try this “newish” update. For me, it is like Canon answered my wish list from my Mark III:
1. Dynamic range. The IV definitely brings things out of the dark WAY cleaner than the III. No more banding!
2. Autofocus. Trust me this is significantly improved on the IV. Maybe others received bad bodies?
3. Live view shooting. Holy Cow!!! It's not even funny how bad the III was at this. Now they just need to make it pop out so we can REALLY take advantage.
4. Touch screen. I love that I can pass this to my sons to touch to focus/activate shutter. Brilliant!!
5. GPS and WI-FI. I've actually used the remote shutter quite a lot!! In theory this could replace the pop out lcd but it's still too fiddly. I do love having my photos tagged with location as we travel a bit.
6. Image Quality. Overall, I'm so happy with the image quality on the IV. Just notice the difference when comparing my old images to the current ones. Well hopefully I've improved too, so maybe it's a combination? :-)
7. Time-Lapse. Not many comment on this but I've been having a BLAST with this! Not just gimmicky. Really happy with this addition!!
Gripes (because nothing is perfect!):
1. Build quality. This IV feels slightly less BRICK like than my III did. Already notice a little strand of rubber sucking up off of the main dial. Made in Japan must not mean what it used to. Will see how it holds up. I do think it could have been better!
2. Although I'm pleased with dynamic range, I think the innovation demonstrated by Sony and Nikon is showing us what the potential out there really is. I love my Canon lenses and the look and color, but it's pretty obvious to the world that we are not leading the pack in terms of innovation. I do believe Canon will deliver in the future though. Right Canon???
3. Fixed LCD. This is a no-brainer. If you can provide this on others, why not this one?? Please don't do this just to convince people to upgrade for a later camera that does have it.
4. I don't have much to add to the 4K video conversation. Don't shoot much video.
Hope this helps those of you still considering a jump from the III to the IV. It is definitely a WORTHY upgrade and has made a huge difference in my end results. A tool is a tool and it's up to the user to add the art, but why not have the best tool??