Check out these related products
- $13.29 List price $18.95Save $5.66
- $15.18 List price $17.95Save $2.77
- $13.88 List price $17.95Save $4.07
- $17.57 List price $27.95Save $10.38
- $14.86 List price $18.95Save $4.09
- $14.17 List price $18.95Save $4.78
- $18.36 List price $22.95Save $4.59
- $12.70 List price $18.95Save $6.25
- $11.54 List price $17.95Save $6.41
- $15.72 List price $17.95Save $2.23
- $13.05 List price $18.95Save $5.90
Consider these popular products
- $18.51 List price $30.00Save $11.49
- $11.55 List price $17.00Save $5.45
- $12.84 List price $17.95Save $5.11
- $11.53 List price $15.00Save $3.47
- $13.46 Was $14.48Save $1.02
- $11.42 List price $16.99Save $5.57
- $11.19 List price $16.00Save $4.81
- $7.19 List price $8.99Save $1.80
About this item
About this item
Important Made in USA Origin Disclaimer: For certain items sold by Walmart on Walmart.com, the displayed country of origin information may not be accurate or consistent with manufacturer information. For updated, accurate country of origin data, it is recommended that you rely on product packaging or manufacturer information.
BRITISH INFANTRYMAN VERSUS GERMAN INFANTRYMAN
This engaging study pits the volunteers of Kitchener's 'New Armies' against the German veterans who defended the Somme sector in the bloody battles of July-November 1916. The mighty struggle for the Somme sector of the Western Front in the second half of 1916 has come to be remembered for the dreadful toll of casualties inflicted on Britain's 'New Armies' by the German defenders on the first day of the offensive, 1 July. The battle continued, however, throughout the autumn and only came to a close in the bitter cold of mid-November. The British plan relied on the power of artillery to suppress and destroy the German defences; the infantry were tasked with taking and holding the German trenches, but minimal resistance was anticipated. In the event the defences were damaged but not destroyed, and small numbers of defenders, many of whom had garrisoned the Somme sector for many months and knew the ground well, inflicted appalling casualties on the British attackers. Both sides incurred major losses, however; German doctrine emphasised that the first line had to be held or retaken at all costs, a rigid defensive policy that led to very high casualties as the Germans threw survivors into ad hoc, piecemeal counterattacks all along the line.
Featuring specially commissioned full-color artwork and based on meticulous reassessment of the sources.
|Number of Pages:||80|
|Publisher:||Osprey Pub Co|
|Assembled Product Dimensions (L x W x H):||8.00 x 10.00 x 0.25 Inches|
Ask a question
If you would like to share feedback with us about pricing, delivery or other customer service issues, please contact customer service directly.
Questions will be checked against our question guidelines and posted within five to seven business days.