Check out these related products
- $13.74 List price $15.99Save $2.25
- $21.62 List price $25.99Save $4.37
- $25.68 List price $40.00Save $14.32
- $16.07 List price $27.99Save $11.92
- $19.61 List price $29.99Save $10.38
- $18.26 List price $29.99Save $11.73
- $22.13 List price $26.95Save $4.82
- $20.62 List price $27.50Save $6.88
- $14.58 Was $20.08Save $5.50
- $15.21 Was $16.22Save $1.01
- $23.87 List price $29.99Save $6.12
- $19.22 List price $21.95Save $2.73
About this item
About this item
Important Made in USA Origin Disclaimer: For certain items sold by Walmart on Walmart.com, the displayed country of origin information may not be accurate or consistent with manufacturer information. For updated, accurate country of origin data, it is recommended that you rely on product packaging or manufacturer information.
"In The Fortunes of War, acclaimed historian Neill Lochery reveals the secret history of Brazil's involvement in World War II, showing how the cunning politicians who ran the country extracted enormous wealth from both the Axis and the Allies, fundamentally transforming Brazil's economy and infrastructure during and after the war. Brazil's simplistic reputation as a faraway land of palm trees and samba dancers masked the country's immense strategic value to both the Axis and the Allies; its abundant natural resources made Brazil a crucial source of sustenance for Nazi Germany, while its geographical location made it a potential launching pad for a southerly invasion of the United States--a danger that American leaders remembered all too well from World War I, when Germany had urged Mexico to carry out just such an assault.
In 1939, Brazil seemed a world away from the chaos overtaking Europe. Yet despite its bucolic reputation as a distant land of palm trees and pristine beaches, Brazil's natural resources and proximity to the United States made it strategically invaluable to both the Allies and the Axis alike. As acclaimed historian Neill Lochery reveals in "The Fortunes of War," Brazil's wily dictator Getulio Dornelles Vargas keenly understood his country's importance, and played both sides of the escalating global conflict off against each other, gaining trade concessions, weapons shipments, and immense political power in the process. Vargas ultimately sided with the Allies and sent troops to the European theater, but not before his dexterous geopolitical machinations had transformed Rio de Janeiro into one of South America's most powerful cities and solidified Brazil's place as a major regional superpower.
A fast-paced tale of diplomatic intrigue, "The Fortunes of War" reveals how World War II transformed Brazil from a tropical backwater into a modern, global power.
|Number of Pages:||345|
|Number in Series:||1|
|Publisher:||Perseus Books Group|
|Assembled Product Dimensions (L x W x H):||6.75 x 9.50 x 1.50 Inches|
Ask a question
If you would like to share feedback with us about pricing, delivery or other customer service issues, please contact customer service directly.
Questions will be checked against our question guidelines and posted within five to seven business days.
Consider these popular products
- $18.51 List price $30.00Save $11.49
- $11.55 List price $17.00Save $5.45
- $12.84 List price $17.95Save $5.11
- $11.53 List price $15.00Save $3.47
- $13.46 Was $14.48Save $1.02
- $11.29 List price $16.99Save $5.70
- $11.19 List price $16.00Save $4.81
- $7.19 List price $8.99Save $1.80