Check out these related products
- $10.11 List price $16.00Save $5.89
- $10.00 List price $16.00Save $6.00
- $13.68 List price $28.95Save $15.27
- $8.45 List price $8.99Save $0.54
- $11.01 Was $12.59Save $1.58
- $9.97 Was $13.66Save $3.69
- $10.60 Was $12.51Save $1.91
- $13.63 Was $14.80Save $1.17
- $9.25 List price $15.00Save $5.75
- $8.36 Was $8.85Save $0.49
- $8.36 List price $8.99Save $0.63
- $12.68 Was $13.64Save $0.96
- $13.42 List price $16.00Save $2.58
About this item
About this item
Important Made in USA Origin Disclaimer: For certain items sold by Walmart on Walmart.com, the displayed country of origin information may not be accurate or consistent with manufacturer information. For updated, accurate country of origin data, it is recommended that you rely on product packaging or manufacturer information.
Visiting a grim Victorian London prison as part of rehabilitative charity work, upper-class suicide survivor Margaret Prior is drawn into the world of enigmatic spiritualist and inmate Selina Dawes and is persuaded to help her escape.
"Gothic tale, psychological study, puzzle narrative...This is gripping, astute fiction that feeds the mind and senses."--"The Seattle Times "
An upper-class woman recovering from a suicide attempt, Margaret Prior has begun visiting the women's ward of Millbank prison, Victorian London's grimmest jail, as part of her rehabilitative charity work. Amongst Millbank's murderers and common thieves, Margaret finds herself increasingly fascinated by on apparently innocent inmate, the enigmatic spiritualist Selina Dawes. Selina was imprisoned after a seance she was conducting went horribly awry, leaving an elderly matron dead and a young woman deeply disturbed. Although initially skeptical of Selina's gifts, Margaret is soon drawn into a twilight world of ghosts and shadows, unruly spirits and unseemly passions, until she is at last driven to concoct a desperate plot to secure Selina's freedom, and her own.
As in her noteworthy deput, "Tipping the Velvet," Sarah Waters brilliantly evokes the sights and smells of a moody and beguiling nineteenth-century London, and proves herself yet again a storyteller, in the words of the "New York Times Book Review," of "startling power."
|Number of Pages:||351|
|Subject:||FICTION_GHOST , FICTION_HISTORICAL , LONDON (ENGLAND)_FICTION , Settings|
|Publisher:||Penguin Group USA|
|Assembled Product Dimensions (L x W x H):||8.00 x 5.50 x 1.00 Inches|
Ask a question
If you would like to share feedback with us about pricing, delivery or other customer service issues, please contact customer service directly.
Questions will be checked against our question guidelines and posted within five to seven business days.
Consider these popular products
- $10.82 Was $12.28Save $1.46
- $14.99 List price $19.99Save $5.00
- $6.18 List price $9.99Save $3.81
- $7.37 List price $10.00Save $2.63
- $19.49 List price $30.00Save $10.51
- $17.40 List price $29.00Save $11.60