Customers also viewed these products
- $15.29 List price $24.99Save $9.70
- $18.89 List price $27.99Save $9.10
Check out these related products
- $13.96 List price $18.99Save $5.03
- $15.28 List price $18.99Save $3.71
- $13.38 List price $15.00Save $1.62
- $14.96 List price $19.99Save $5.03
- $19.23 List price $21.99Save $2.76
- $11.08 List price $16.00Save $4.92
- $8.86 Was $9.45Save $0.59
- $8.68 List price $9.99Save $1.31
- $12.72 Was $13.86Save $1.14
- $13.32 Was $22.70Save $9.38
- $11.78 List price $15.99Save $4.21
- $10.66 List price $16.00Save $5.34
About this item
About this item
Important Made in USA Origin Disclaimer: For certain items sold by Walmart on Walmart.com, the displayed country of origin information may not be accurate or consistent with manufacturer information. For updated, accurate country of origin data, it is recommended that you rely on product packaging or manufacturer information.
Paperback, Simon & Schuster, 2013, ISBN13 9781476762920, ISBN10 1476762929
The remarkable life of P.L. Travers, the creator of Mary Poppins.
An arresting life...Lawson is superb at excavating the details. -"Library Journal"
The spellbinding stories of Mary Poppins, the quintessentially English and utterly magical nanny, have been loved by generations. She flew into the lives of the unsuspecting Banks family in a children's book that was instantly hailed as a classic, then became a household name when Julie Andrews stepped into the title role in Walt Disney's hugely successful and equally classic film. But the Mary Poppins in the stories was not the cheery film character. She was tart and sharp, plain and vain. She was a remarkable character.
The story of Mary Poppins' creator, as this definitive biography reveals, is equally remarkable. The fabulous English nanny was actually conceived by an Australian, Pamela Lyndon Travers, who came to London in 1924 from Queensland as a journalist. She became involved with Theosophy, traveled in the literary circles of W.B. Yeats and T.S. Eliot, and became a disciple of the famed spiritual guru, Gurdjieff. She famously clashed with Walt Disney over the adaptation of the Mary Poppins books into film. Travers, whom Disney accused of vanity for "thinking you know more about Mary Poppins than I do," was as tart and opinionated as Julie Andrews's big-screen Mary Poppins was cheery. Yet it was a love of mysticism and magic that shaped Travers's life as well as the character of Mary Poppins. The clipped, strict, and ultimately mysterious nanny who emerged from her pen was the creation of someone who remained inscrutable and enigmatic to the end of her ninety-six years.
Valerie Lawson's illuminating biography provides the first full look whose personal journey is as intriguing as her beloved characters.
|Number of Pages:||401|
|Number in Series:||1|
|Publisher:||Simon & Schuster|
|Assembled Product Dimensions (L x W x H):||6.00 x 9.00 x 1.00 Inches|
Ask a question
If you would like to share feedback with us about pricing, delivery or other customer service issues, please contact customer service directly.
Questions will be checked against our question guidelines and posted within five to seven business days.
Consider these popular products
- $7.19 List price $9.99Save $2.80
- $5.39 List price $9.00Save $3.61
- $13.91 List price $19.95Save $6.04
- $12.42 List price $21.98Save $9.56
- $5.98 List price $9.99Save $4.01
- $9.93 List price $14.99Save $5.06
- $4.03 List price $7.99Save $3.96
- $2.38 Was $2.87Save $0.49
- $6.83 Was $7.19Save $0.36
- $18.28 List price $29.99Save $11.71