What Changed When Everything Changed: 9/11 and the Making of National Identity
Check out these related products
- $24.75 List price $27.50Save $2.75
- $23.76 List price $30.00Save $6.24
- $18.71 Was $22.26Save $3.55
- $31.50 List price $35.00Save $3.50
- $24.95 Was $28.00Save $3.05
- $25.12 List price $32.50Save $7.38
- $32.00 Was $33.88Save $1.88
- $33.16 List price $40.00Save $6.84
About this item
About this item
Important Made in USA Origin Disclaimer: For certain items sold by Walmart on Walmart.com, the displayed country of origin information may not be accurate or consistent with manufacturer information. For updated, accurate country of origin data, it is recommended that you rely on product packaging or manufacturer information.
Hardcover, Yale Univ Pr, 2013, ISBN13 9780300176551, ISBN10 0300176554
Beautifully written and carefully reasoned, this bold and provocative work upends the conventional wisdom about the American reaction to crisis. Margulies demonstrates that for key elements of the post-9/11 landscape--especially support for counterterror policies like torture and hostility to Islam--American identity is not only darker than it was before September 11, 2001, but substantially more repressive than it was immediately after the attacks. These repressive attitudes, Margulies shows us, have taken hold even as the terrorist threat has diminished significantly.
Contrary to what is widely imagined, at the moment of greatest perceived threat, when the fear of another attack "hung over the country like a shroud," favorable attitudes toward Muslims and Islam were at record highs, and the suggestion that America should torture was denounced in the public square. Only much later did it become socially acceptable to favor "enhanced interrogation" and exhibit clear anti-Muslim prejudice. Margulies accounts for this unexpected turn and explains what it means to the nation's identity as it moves beyond 9/11. We express our values in the same language, but that language can hide profound differences and radical changes in what we actually believe. "National identity," he writes, "is not fixed, it is made."
|Number of Pages:||376|
|Publisher:||Yale Univ Pr|
|Assembled Product Dimensions (L x W x H):||6.50 x 9.75 x 1.25 Inches|
Ask a question
If you would like to share feedback with us about pricing, delivery or other customer service issues, please contact customer service directly.
Questions will be checked against our question guidelines and posted within five to seven business days.
Consider these popular products
- $20.98 List price $30.00Save $9.02
- $49.99 List price $71.00Save $21.01
- $18.27 List price $28.95Save $10.68
- $12.35 Was $14.21Save $1.86
- $11.02 List price $16.95Save $5.93
- $11.76 Was $12.38Save $0.62
- $31.45 List price $34.95Save $3.50
- $12.24 List price $15.99Save $3.75
- $19.10 List price $27.00Save $7.90
- $13.62 List price $14.95Save $1.33
- $19.38 Was $23.83Save $4.45