It’s about that time of year to refresh your spring makeup routine, but between running the kids to sports this and school that, who has the time?
Even if you’re strapped for time, a makeup refresh is 100 percent doable with these five budget-beauty makeup tips you can shop right now.
1. The first order of business: Out with the old — at least when it comes to dingy makeup applicators and expired mascara tubes. Here’s what to toss:
- Makeup sponges: If you haven’t seen the actual color of your sponges lately, it’s probably time to either toss or wash them. If you’re using a blending sponge like this, clean it with gentle soap (this gentle cleanser is perfect for the job) and water at least once. If you have super sensitive skin, a good rule is to clean your sponge daily and leave it to dry out on a clean wash cloth until next use. These sponges, when regularly cleaned, will last you about six months. Try: Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge
- Mascara: Chances are, you’re coating your lashes in expired mascara. As a general rule, mascara’s shelf life is three to four months. If you notice the formula drying out or you smell something funky, it’s time to toss it. If you’re in a pinch, you can add a few drops of saline solution into the bottle to get one more month (max four months) out of your mascara bottle. Plan ahead and pick up two bottles next time so you can stick to rotating regularly. Try out cult favorite: Maybelline New York Great Lash Washable Mascara
2. Spring equals more time spent in the sun, which means you’ll need to bump up your SPF protection — even in your makeup.
- Tinted moisturizer with SPF: not only is tinted moisturizer super-lightweight, making it infinitely more comfortable to wear in hot temperatures, but it also hydrates skin, subtly covers imperfections, protects against damaging UV rays and doesn’t require more than your fingers to apply! Try: Neutrogena Healthy Skin Glow Sheers Illuminating Tinted Moisturizer SPF 30
3. Cold weather tends to sap skin of its luster. Not to worry: doing away with winter dullness (plus looking awake — score!) is as easy as swiping on highlighter to a few key areas:
- The tops of cheekbones: Start beneath the center of your eye and brush up toward your temple. Try: e.l.f. Baked Highlighter Blush Gems
- The brow bone: Keep the highlighter concentrated on the brow bone (under the brow, but above the crease). Try: L’Oréal Paris Magic Lumi Highlighter
- Inner corner of the eye: Dab on just a hint of highlighter to the inner corner of the eyes to brighten. Try: Milani Bella Eyes Gel Powder Eyeshadow
- Bonus tip: Apply a little highlighter along the cupid’s bow at your upper lip to pull off a natural pout that is perfect for spring.
4. Though your skin may look pasty after months spent buried under layers, you can instantly fake a summery glow with strategically applied bronzer.
- Bronze where the sun would naturally hit your face: Typically the forehead (closer to your hairline), bridge of the nose and cheeks. Try: Rimmel London Natural Bronzer
- Or, sweep on bronzer in the shape of a “3”: Using a fluffy brush, start at the forehead, trace down over the cheek and then along the jawline to the chin. Try: NYC New York Sun ‘n’ Bronze Bronzing Powder
5. You deserve a little fun. Why not try one of these three instant lip-centric mood lifters?
- Get lippy: Experiment with a bright lip, from a sheer wash of vivid color to a matte bold hue. For sheer brights, try: Revlon Colorstay Sheer Lip Color; For matte bolds, try: LA Colors Matte Lipstick
- Line ’em up: Embolden your eye designs with colorful eyeliner (think: sparkling teal or metallic emerald). Try: e.l.f. Cosmetics Cream Eyeliner
- Brow power: Get in on the beefed-up brow trend with believable powders and tinted gels. Try: Maybelline New York Brow Drama Pro Palette; Rimmel London Brow This Way Brow Styling Gel
There’s more shoppable makeup inspiration! You may also want to check out:
Our top 10 spring makeup picks under $10– These are the 10 spring makeup picks getting all the buzz, and not just because they’re all under $10. If you want to get your spring makeup game in gear, you don’t have to spend your entire budget to do it. Read more…