Guide to summer backyard party ideas
Setting up your yard so it feels like a party all summer long is easy when you have a few essential items on hand — think comfy furniture, grilling tools and outdoor toys that keep you cool, comfortable and entertained. Here are tips and ideas for summer backyard party ideas. You'll find what you need, from patio sets to outdoor tableware and even pools and swing sets, all at Every Day Low Prices.
Dinnerware and serveware
Plan the perfect cookout and serve your summery meal on durable dinnerware that's crafted to stand up to the rigors of outdoor festivities.
- Acrylic/styrene: These plastics look just like glass, and they're easy to maintain and keep clean. One added bonus is that they're shatterproof, so they won't break when they get dropped on the patio. As with any plastic, refrain from using them in the microwave.
- Melamine: Melamine is durable resin that's virtually unbreakable, heat resistant and fire resistant. Melamine is safe to use, but don't use it in the microwave to heat food.
- BPA-free: When considering plastic outdoor dinnerware and serveware, look for BPA-free items. BPA is an industrial chemical used to make certain plastics and resins, but now manufacturers are creating more BPA-free products. Look for the BPA-free label if you're concerned.
Amp up the relaxation factor on your patio with comfortable furniture and accessories that get the space ready for outdoor living at its finest.
- Dining sets: Comfort and size count when buying an outdoor dining set. If you have unlimited room, consider an extendable outdoor dining table that resembles indoor furniture. For cozy spaces, consider bistro sets, which are small round (around 23 inches in diameter) or square tables (around 25 inches on each side) with two to four coordinating chairs or stools. In addition just about every style available in outdoor dining sets, consider fresh, contemporary designs with clean Scandinavian touches that look like beloved mid-century modern indoor furniture.
- Bar furniture: Set up a neighborhood outdoor pub with a weather-resistant wicker bar, bar cart, outdoor pub table and patio coolers that hold ice, bottles and a table for glasses. Look for a bar table with coordinating all-weather stools. For small spaces, consider an outdoor fold-down bar/table that hooks over a railing.
- Sectionals and daybeds: Turn your outdoor space into a true living or sleeping area. All-weather wicker sectionals with attached chaise lounges look just like indoor furniture. Outdoor daybeds are specially designed canopies to keep the sun off your face and body while resting.
- Zero-gravity chairs: Zero-gravity lounge chairs place you in a suspended position so that gravity cannot act on your body. The technology, invented by NASA for astronaut comfort, puts less stress on your body by evenly distributing your weight across the chair while elevating your legs. This puts you into the perfect position for improved blood circulation.
Grills and grill accessories
Get fired up with everything you need to become summer's greatest grillmaster.
- Gas grills: Gas grills, the kings of outdoor cooking, are as convenient as they are beautiful to look at. Consider stable stainless steel carts with welded joints that last many grilling seasons without tipping over. Small gas grills cook under 18 burgers. Mid-sized gas grills cook up to 28 burgers, and larger gas grills can grill 28-plus burgers.
- Charcoal grills: Charcoal grilling is best for achieving that classic, distinctively smoky taste. Kettle grills are small and portable. Barrel grills have larger cooking surfaces. Egg-shaped ceramic and kamado grills have settings to cook more complex foods, such as pizzas, breads and even desserts.
- Pellet grills: Pellet grills run on electricity and pellets to impart a wood-smoked taste. With a pellet grill, you won't have flare ups. This is a very fuel-efficient way to grill using about a pound of pellets per hour of grilling. Plus, there's no propane tank to refill or messy charcoal to handle.
- Grill mats: Rubber anti-slip grill mats protect your deck, patio, stonework or lawn from spilled grease and foods from your grill. A mat keeps your grill still and in place, too. Choose a mat that's larger than the actual grill so it catches spills and eliminates any possibility of staining the surface below.
Fun in the sun is yours when you deck your yard in exciting features like pools and toys.
- Pools: Above-ground pools, whether inflatable, framed or hard-sided, are a great investment to keep your family cooled down while having fun. Inflatable pools go as large as 18 feet by 10 foot or bigger in an oval shape. Framed pools go as large as 30 feet or longer, and round, hard-sided pools go as large as 33 feet or more in diameter.
- Backyard toys: Continue the staycation this summer with toys to keep everyone busy outdoors, including trampolines and swing sets. Consider a trampoline enclosure for safety. When choosing swing sets, make sure you have at least six feet of space for clearance around them and for safety reasons.