Whether you're hitting the freeway for a weekend of fun and adventure in your sports car, or tackling a challenging week of work in your truck, you want the peace of mind that comes from knowing your vehicle is performing optimally and looking its best. To ensure you keep on rolling, you should use high-quality replacement parts when things wear out or break. While many automotive companies offer aftermarket components compatible with the make and model of your vehicle, original equipment manufacturer (OEM) parts offer the guarantee of quality products from trusted manufacturers.
What are OEM parts?
OEM is the term describing replacement automotive parts that come from the same company responsible for the factory-fitted originals. They are distinct from aftermarket or third-party replacements, which are components that are compatible with a specific vehicle but aren't made by the same company.
How to identify OEM parts
When you're shopping for replacement automotive components, look for the term "OEM" in product descriptions. There are also several other terms that help to ensure you're buying genuine parts:
- OE: An alternative to OEM, standing for "original equipment."
- Genuine: The word "genuine" on its own isn't a guarantee you're looking at OEM parts, but the word is often used in conjunction with other words to clarify that the item is an official replacement.
- Mopar: The word "Mopar" is a blend of the words "motor" and "parts." It's the brand name of the parts and servicing organization for Fiat Chrysler Automobiles. Genuine OEM parts for vehicles such as Chrysler, Dodge, Fiat, Ram, and Jeep all carry the Mopar branding.
- Part numbers: Every vehicle component has an OEM part number. When you know the number for the part you need, it's easy to find an identical replacement just using this number. You can often get the part number online from your car manufacturer's website.
OEM vs. aftermarket
It may not be immediately apparent whether OEM or aftermarket components are the best choice for you. Shopping for OEM parts offers numerous advantages:
- Simplicity: If you don't know a lot about vehicles and want to make sure you get the right thing, shopping OEM is a good choice. As the products come from the original manufacturer, there are no purchasing options. Plus, you know the item you purchase is going to fit the vehicle without the need for costly or complicated alterations.
- Consistent performance: As OEM parts exactly match your factory-fitted components, you get the same level of performance. This lets you maintain your vehicle, so it looks and feels like it did when it first came off the production line.
- Quality assured: The products are from a company you trust. They match your factory-fitted components, so you don't have to worry that you might be purchasing inferior quality.
Although there are many good reasons to purchase OEM parts, there are some disadvantages too. The lack of choice in purchasing genuine replacement parts means prices tend to be higher than buying aftermarket. Furthermore, you don't have the opportunity to customize the way your vehicle looks or drives. If you want to change a vehicle's appearance, add a better sound system, or boost the overall performance, then you should consider purchasing aftermarket products instead. However, if you intend to shop aftermarket products, do your research carefully. The massive selection means there's increased risk of purchasing items that aren't compatible with your vehicle, or which may be inferior quality to what you're used to.
We offer an extensive selection of OEM parts, ranging from ignition switches and bulbs to exterior trim and wheels. Our range includes items from leading vehicle manufacturers and brands, including:
- BMW: BMW, Mini, and Rolls Royce
- Daimler AG: Mercedes-Benz, Mercedes-AMG, and Smart
- Fiat Chrysler Automobiles: Abarth, Alfa Romeo, Chrysler, Dodge, Fiat, Jeep, Maserati, and Ram Trucks
- Ford Motor Company: Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, and Mustang
- General Motors: Chevrolet, Buick, Cadillac, Hummer, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Saturn, and GMC
- Honda Motor Company: Honda, Acura
- Hyundai Motor Group: Genesis, Hyundai, and Kia
- Jaguar Land Rover: Jaguar and Land Rover
- Mitsubishi Motors: Mitsubishi
- Nissan Motor Co., Ltd: Nissan, Infiniti, and Datsun
- Saab Automobile: Saab
- Subaru: Subaru
- Toyota Motor Corporation: Toyota, Hino, Lexus, Ranz, and Daihatsu
- Volkswagen: Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Porsche, and Volkswagen
- Volvo: Volvo, Mack, and Renault
Although OEM parts tend to be more expensive than aftermarket parts, we, fortunately, offer Every Day Low Prices on all of our products. So, you get the best value possible on your genuine replacement parts. You don't even need to wait for a special promotion. Also, our fast shipping options mean getting your OEM parts is quick and easy. You get to spend less time shopping—and more time on the open road.
Vehicle Images by EvoxImages.com