Get the Look
Get the look
When it's time to reinvent your home's look or create a new space your family loves to spend time in, we've got all the tools, furniture and decorative room accents you need to express your sense of style and creativity. But with so many great products to choose from, where do you even start? Our ""Get the Look"" posts are packed with the ideas and inspiration to help you realize the vision of your perfect home.
Room for improvement
If you're tired of the decor in your living room or want to create a country cottage-style kitchen, there's no time like the present to make a change. While you may know what kind of look you want to adopt, you may not have a clear idea of the best way to achieve it. For example, if you want to give your bathroom a 1920s makeover, what kind of cabinetry do you need? What colors were all the rage? And how do you conceal your modern cosmetics and pampering products to maintain the illusion that stepping into your bathroom is stepping into a different era?
We have the answers to these questions, and many more, in our ""Get the Look"" articles. With just a bit of advice, it's easier to avoid potentially costly mistakes and to achieve a final result that's much closer to the idea you have in your mind's eye.
Time and space
Regardless of what kind of space you're taking on, we help save you time and effort with simple ideas to spark your own creativity:
- Storage is always an important consideration when you're trying to achieve a specific look, so consider ways to carefully conceal modern amenities in spacious storage systems, or find storage solutions that are in-keeping with your design aesthetic.
- Learn how to use furniture to maximize the ways that you use your space. Position chairs and coffee tables to define areas for talking or playing a family board game, or orient your sofa to get the best viewing angle of your wall-mounted television.
- Room accents are the finishing touches, tying together the different elements of the room and creating a cohesive style. The right picture on the wall, a well-placed mirror to open up the space and a lamp to illuminate a dark corner often make the difference between a winning style and a near miss.
- Soft furnishings are a quick and easy way to change up your style. An old sofa gets a new lease on life with a throw, while mixing and matching different types of pillows creates an eclectic, vibrant atmosphere. Consider looking for soft furnishings that have similar or complementary colors so they all work together in harmony. Or, go wild with expressive patterns.
- Color helps to set the mood. Bright colors are playful and adventurous, often bringing a sense of modern style and energy. Conversely, muted colors are often calm and serene, and they work well in traditional and vintage settings.
- Our ""Get the Look"" articles help you keep up with trends so you always know what's hot and what's not. We'll also show you ways to take note of timeless classics that never get old. Being fashionable is fun, but changing up your furniture every year might not be your vision.
Some room revamps are permanent arrangements, but sometimes you just want to create the right atmosphere for the holiday season or a particular time of year. Our articles have great suggestions for making your home into a winter wonderland for the holidays or adding tricky October accents that are a real treat in any home. From festive centerpieces that are the crowning glory during your Christmas dinner to simple, seasonal twists on color schemes to match the month, you're sure to find some interesting ideas to help you make any season bright.
The decision is yours
Our ""Get the Look"" articles are just the beginning. They serve as springboards for your own imaginative design choices. Accompanying each article is a series of links to products that are available to purchase that help to create the various designs featured, but there's so much more to discover. You'll quickly find that once you've seen a few ideas in action, your own ideas crystallize in your mind and it becomes much easier to make the best purchases for your projects."