Create a nursery you and your baby love
A nursery is a special place in the home, a place where parents can bond with their children. When a new baby arrives home, this room is where many hours will be spent for both baby and parents sleeping, playing, dressing and cuddling. Having comfortable, safe furniture and attractive decor makes these moments all the more enjoyable. Nursery furnishings can include a crib, changing table, dresser and chair, plus bedding items and decorations. Because we offer low prices, every day, on everything, you can furnish an entire nursery to your liking, even on a budget.
Although some nursery furniture is available in sets, it's generally necessary to purchase all the furniture items separately. This also gives you the flexibility of choosing exactly what you want. There are several key pieces that make up any nursery.
- cribs Many cribs are convertible, such as 2-in-1 or 5-in-1 cribs. Being convertible means that the mattress is adjustable in that many positions. Some convert into different types of beds like daybeds, toddler beds and full-size beds so they're useful for many years. When it comes time to convert, you'll need to only possibly purchase guardrails or full-size rails, and perhaps a larger mattress.
- Mattresses Unlike mattresses for adults, most baby mattresses are made of foam material, with only a few types having springs inside. They also have other features like being hypoallergenic, bug-free, waterproof and made of organic materials for your baby's health. It also helps that many are also reversible.
- Changing tables Changing tables are like small dressers that have a flat surface with raised edges where you can change your baby's diaper with ease. The styles of changing tables range from types with open shelving to ones with drawers and cabinet space, ideal for storing extra diapers, baby wipes, linens and other necessities.
- Chairs Nursery chairs come in many forms, but rocking chairs and gliders are the most common. Some rocking chairs are the traditional wooden rockers while others have pads or are upholstered. Gliders (also called glider rockers) provide a very smooth back and forth gliding motion that can help soothe your baby back to sleep. Many of these chairs also have a gliding ottoman for putting your feet up while sitting with your baby.
- Dressers and armoires Some nurseries only have room for basic items like a crib, changing table and some kind of chair. Larger rooms can accommodate two chairs and even a dresser or armoire. Nursery dressers tend to be three- or four-drawers tall while armoires usually have open shelving, a drawer or two and a place to hang clothes.
- Sheet sets Most sheet sets have two fitted sheets that you can alternate using to cover your baby's mattress. Some of them feature a solid colored sheet and a sheet with designs on it while some of them are the same color or style. Cotton is a common option, by polyester, cotton blend and polyester blend are other choices.
- Blankets Baby blanket options include receiving blankets, swaddle blankets and even wearable blankets. Use these blankets to cover your baby while sleeping or when rocking your baby to sleep. Fleece, microfiber and cotton blend are generally the most comfortable because they breath so baby doesn't get too hot or too cold, but wool, chenille, velour and acrylic are available too.
- Mattress pads These pads offer an extra layer of protection to your baby's bedding. they're waterproof and soft against your baby's body.
- Crib skirts Crib skirts and dust ruffles keep the underneath part of your baby's crib decorated or they hide items stored underneath the crib. These can be paired to match your baby's sheets or be a completely different color or design.
- Changing pads These pads serve a dual purpose. They protect the surface of your changing table and offer a comfortable place for your baby to lay while being changed.
Decor items for your baby's nursery can be basic pieces like lamps and rugs or more specific baby-themed pieces like mobiles and wall hangings. Lamps work best with low-wattage bulbs unless it's the only light source in the room. Baby rugs are small rugs, often made of plush materials and bright colors, that you can stand on while tending to your baby. Mobiles hang above your baby's bed and rotate around, keeping your child's attention and spurring imagination. Wall decor items include paper and canvas hangings featuring nature scenes, animals, colorful pictures and inspirational sayings to bring a happy atmosphere to your baby's room.