Choosing Plus-Size Clothing for Your Body Type
Women's bodies come in all shapes and sizes. Plus-size fashion is designed for women with full figures and natural curves. Because those curves also come in a variety of body shapes, what looks best on one plus-sized figure might not on another. Boost your confidence and look your best by shopping for clothing that matches your body type. Shop Walmart's Every Day Low Prices to find plus-size styles that look great for your body type. Use these guidelines to find the flattering outfits to add to your wardrobe.
With an hourglass body shape, a woman has a full bust and hips paired with a naturally slim waist. This is also the shape that clothing for other body types often tries to achieve. Some style options to consider when dressing an hourglass shape are:
- Fitted shirts and tops highlight the narrow waist.
- Supportive fabrics hide any extra weight around the abdomen to further emphasize the waist.
- Pencil skirts and other skirts that end at the knee accentuate natural curves.
- Avoid frilly tops that add extra bulk to the bust and disrupt the natural balance of the figure.
Apple body shapes have the widest measurements around the middle of the body. Shoulder, hip and thigh measurements are slimmer in comparison. Those with apple body types can create the illusion of a waist and elongate the figure with the right pieces of clothing. Follow these guidelines when dressing an apple shape:
- Shirts that are ruched, or pleated, in the middle hide the tummy for a flattering look.
- Woven tops are thicker and don't cling to the body as much as other tops to even out the shape.
- V-neck tops, patterned tops and tops with a flared hemline draw attention away from the belly.
- Tops and jackets should sit just below the hipbone to elongate the torso.
Pear body shapes are the most common plus-size shapes. With this figure, a woman's hips and buttocks are her most prominent features. Women with a pear shape should choose clothing that accentuates this figure. Clothing should draw attention to the upper body and chest while elongating the legs. Some examples of styles that can achieve this look are:
- Layered tops paired with a short jacket break up the elongated torso and make the legs appear longer.
- Waist belts emphasize and draw attention to the slim waist.
- Colorful tops, especially those with collars and pockets, draw attention to the upper body, as do accessories like scarves and necklaces.
- Pair bright tops with dark bottoms to further emphasize the top half.
- V-line tops accentuate the upper half.
Rectangle body shapes do not have any one prominent feature. There are no defined curves, and the bust, waist and hips all have a similar shape. Though this body shape does not have natural curves, it is one of the easiest to dress. Rectangle body shapes look great in clothing that creates the illusion of curves or accentuates the naturally straight figure. Some guidelines to follow when dressing rectangle shapes include:
- Jackets and coats with accented waists or belts allow the wearer to define her waist.
- Tops with pockets, ruches and other details create the illusion of a bigger bust.
- Halter tops also accentuate the bust while showing off the back.
- Shift dresses and dresses with empire waistlines emphasize the waist to create a flattering silhouette.
Inverted Triangle Shape
With this body shape, women have shoulders that are wider than the hips. Additionally, the bust is also on the larger side. The goal when dressing an inverted triangle is to draw attention to the slim and lean lower body. Some styles to consider when shopping for clothes for an inverted triangle body shape are:
- A-line and full skirts widen the lower body to achieve the hourglass shape.
- Wide-leg pants, bootcut pants and pants with embellishments on the rear pockets emphasize the lower body.
- Avoid tapered skirts, shoulder pads and tops with bold patterns and graphics since these make the bust and shoulders look bigger and the waist and legs look smaller.
- V-neck tops and buttoned tops with a few buttons undone accent the vertical lines of this figure.
Shop online or head to your nearest Walmart to find your next flattering outfit. For extra savings, check out our Rollbacks and other Special Offers on plus-size clothing.