STEM toys and games
STEM toys and games combine the fun of experimentation and creation with the core concepts necessary to develop an interest in science and technology. You can discover a wide selection of products that help to promote a love of learning, encouraging children to look at the world in new ways and explore new avenues of study.
What is STEM?
STEM is a curriculum comprising the disciplines of science, technology, engineering and mathematics. Unlike the traditional approach to mathematics and science, STEM treats the four disciplines as interrelated, and teaches the principles based on their usage in real-world applications. It may sound complicated, but the core concept is to introduce children to essential skills by teaching how to apply these skills in everyday life. It's an exciting, hands-on approach that gives children a chance to build and experiment, answer their own questions and develop problem-solving skills. By using toys and games, it's possible to nurture a fascination for science and its many applications, laying the foundation for a well-rounded education that includes the skills children need in later life.
Types of STEM toys
STEM toys put creativity and control in the hands of children, teaching the real-world applications of science, mathematics and technology in an engaging manner. Popular subjects for STEM toys include:
- Coding and robotics: There are many kits that include the components, tools and instructions for children to assemble and code their own robots. These robots may be battery-powered or solar-powered, and some interact with smartphone apps or computers, allowing children to program simple commands or operate the robots remotely.
- Engineering: Common engineering-based toys include circuit kits that help children to understand electronics in a safe and controlled manner, and construction kits that provide the tools to put together small machines.
- Science: Chemistry sets open up a world of experiments that spark creativity and curiosity, helping kids to get excited about learning. Because kits have varied subject matters, it's easy to find something for every type of child. Examples include "gross" science kits for making oozing slime and fake blood, color-mixing kits for younger children to make their own rainbows and crystal-growing kits for teaching geology. Most kits require adult supervision, and in some cases children may have to wear protective eyewear and gloves. Always read the instructions carefully.
- Astronomy: For children with dreams of venturing into outer space, a telescope helps to bring those dreams within reach. Wannabe astronauts are sure to love a projector that displays orbiting planets on the wall, or a kit for creating their own 3D solar system.
- Nature: Some children look to the stars, but others are more interested in the world around them. Microscopes and bug viewers reveal a miniature world of natural marvels, while ant farms showcase the secrets of the animal kingdom.
- Mathematics: Studying math doesn't have to be a chore. Help your child learn to love numbers with electronic number puzzles or fun games that the whole family can get involved with.
How to buy STEM toys
STEM education begins at an early age. At elementary school, children start to learn how the four disciplines interact, and they develop their problem-solving skills. However, you have the chance to give your children a head start by introducing them to STEM learning through age-appropriate educational toys and games. Toys range in complexity, making it just as easy to find something suitable for preschoolers as it is to find something for children in middle school. Toddlers are sure to love a dancing interactive character that teaches physics in a fun way, while a circuit kit is a good way to brighten up the day for technical whiz kids. Manufacturers include a recommend age for each product, and this serves as a guide when making purchases; however, every child is different, and you may feel something slightly younger or older is a better choice. Just remember to supervise your children as they learn to ensure that they follow the instructions carefully and stay safe.
Also, consider what you hope to achieve with the product. STEM toys are a good way to nurture a child's existing interest in science or mathematics, but such toys can also help children to understand a subject they're struggling with, or even reveal fun new ways to approach a topic they have little interest in. With our wide range of products at Every Day Low Prices, you have plenty of options for finding new ways to introduce your children to the real-world applications of science and technology.