Check out these related products
- $14.48 Was $15.95Save $1.47
- $13.38 Was $15.95Save $2.57
- $15.47 Was $16.95Save $1.48
- $13.66 Was $16.95Save $3.29
- $9.34 Was $9.95Save $0.61
- $15.33 List price $18.95Save $3.62
- $14.10 Was $16.99Save $2.89
- $15.75 Was $17.99Save $2.24
- $14.51 Was $15.99Save $1.48
- $14.55 Was $16.99Save $2.44
- $10.79 Was $17.99Save $7.20
- $14.04 Was $16.99Save $2.95
- $17.05 Was $17.95Save $0.90
- $13.39 Was $16.99Save $3.60
About this item
About this item
Encouraged by his sidekicks, the glow-in-the-dark plankton, a self-doubting whale learns that anyone can be an artist and everyone has something unique to contribute.
All day, Whale swims through the ocean, wearing a poster advertising the big upcoming art exhibition. He visits the eel who wriggles abstract patterns in the sand, the squid who paints with ink, and the hammerhead shark who builds sculptures from salvage. Whale sees his friends' confidence and creativity and wishes he could be an artist too, but he doesn't know what to make and insists he's too ungainly to create art. Then one day, with the unexpected help of some bioluminescent plankton, he discovers his own distinct point of view and talent.
From the award-winning author-illustrator of "What Animals Really Like," hailed by "School Library Journal "as "sublime silliness," comes another inspiring tale about defying expectation and finding the artist within.
Praise for "Whale Shines"
"At its core, Robinson's ("What Animals Really Like") story is a tried and true tale of a wallflower realizing his potential. But her understated, offbeat voice and visuals--a mashup of classicism and graphic novel sensibilities--makes this a standout: up-to-the-minute modern in its irreverence and offhandedness, yet timeless in its understanding of a character's yearning."
--"Publishers Weekly," starred review
"Sharp contrasts between light and dark are beautiful."
"Children will embrace and understand the sincere, undervalued message of art as substantive and a way to "share one's world." This inspiring tale of artistic collaboration between the whale and bioluminescent plankton will be shared again and again."
--"School Library Journal"
|Publisher:||Harry N Abrams Inc|
|Publish Date:||Nov 2013|
|Format:||School and Library|
|Number of Pages:||1|
|Shipping Weight (in pounds):||1.25|
|Product in Inches (L x W x H):||12.25 x 9.75 x 0.5|
Ask a question
Consider these popular products
- $13.24 List price $23.96Save $10.72
- $3.94 Was $4.50Save $0.56
- $8.44 List price $14.95Save $6.51
- $10.71 Was $12.99Save $2.28
- $13.38 Was $19.99Save $6.61