About this item
It's a Boy provides expert advice on the developmental, psychological, social, emotional, and academic life of boys from infancy through the teen years. Exploring the many ways in which boys strive for masculinity and attempt to define themselves, psychologist Michael Thompson, Ph.D., a leading international expert on boys' development, and journalist Teresa H. Barker identify the key developmental transitions that mark a boy's psychological growth and emotional health, and the challenges both boys and parents face at each age.
- Baby Boys (birth to 18 months): falling in love with your son, healthy attachment, trust, and temperament
- Toddler Years (18 months to 3 years): boys on the go, bold steps, blankies, budding language, and rambunctious physicality
- Powerful Little Boys (ages 3 and 4): superhero ambitions, learning to manage the force of his anger, and celebrating the power of the boy group
- Starting School (ages 5 through 7): developmental cues for school readiness, transitional challenges, tough talk, tender hearts, and first friends
- Boys on a Mission (ages 8 through 10): striving for mastery in sports, organizing the boy brain for school success, and glaring academic gender gaps
- The Preteen (ages 11 through 13): puberty, posturing, and popularity, the culture of cruelty, and stoic silence in the middle school years
- Early High School (ages 14 and 15): powerful peer groups, sexuality, the shift away from Mom, and yearning for Dad's respect and attention
- On the Brink of Manhood (ages 16 through 18): the quest for independence, sex, love, driving, drinking, and other challenges of life
Practical, insightful, and engaging, ""It's a Boy is the definitive guide to raising boys in today's world, revealing with humor, compassion, and joy all the infinite varieties of boys and the profound ways in which we love them.
|Publisher:||Random House Publishing Group|
|Publish Date:||Mar 24, 2009|
|Number of Pages:||480|
|Shipping Weight (in pounds):||1.3|
|Product in Inches (L x W x H):||9.2 x 7.3 x 1.0|
Be the first to review this item. Share your rating and review so that other customers can decide if this is the right item for them.
Ask a question
If you would like to share feedback with us about pricing, delivery or other customer service issues, please contact customer service directly.
Walmart does not sponsor, recommend or endorse any third party product or service, or any customer ideas or advice.
Questions will be checked against our question guidelines and posted within five to seven business days.