About this item
The ONLY text that uses sound first as a more natural and organic way to learn music theory
Designed for a one-semester musical fundamentals course, From Sound to Symbol: Fundamentals of Music, Second Edition, clearly covers all essential topics, but with a unique, sound-to-symbol approach that explores concepts through the sound of music before explaining how symbols are used. Students actively and methodically explore music by listening, performing, thinking critically, and composing, learning the rudiments of music theory in the process.
* Examples from folk songs and classical music are simple, memorable, and easy to sing or play.
* Activities use different modes of learning (kinesthetic, aural, and visual) to help students understand the fundamentals and apply them to music-making.
* The in-text Audio CD includes all the essential melodies from the book, examples of chord functions and harmonic progressions, and exercises to develop singing skills.
* The in-text Skills CD provides tutorials for chapter review, theory exercise drills, and dictation exercises.
* A folded, laminated keyboard is included at the back of the text.
NEW TO THIS EDITION
* Chapters include helpful overviews and key terms and concepts lists.
* Chapters are now divided into two sections: (1) an introduction to basic concepts and (2) written theory exercises.
* All chapters include more written exercises, and the in-text Skills CD includes more dictation exercises.
* "How to Read a Musical Score" sections ask students to identify newly learned musical elements in more complex musical works.
* "How to Practice" sections guide students in developing greater mastery of each chapter's concepts.
* The la minor and do minor approaches to pedagogy are now clearly distinguished and separated in Chapters 8 and 9.
* All forms of the minor scale are included in one chapter (9) instead of two.
* Chapters 10 and 11 on triads and harmony have been reorganized to reflect a traditional sequence.
* A new chapter, "Composing a Song" (Chapter 12), provides students with the opportunity to apply their cumulative knowledge to writing compositions.
* Pages have been redesigned for clarity, with only two marginal icons--one referencing the in-text Audio CD (with track numbers) and one referencing longer pieces available on iTunes. Pages are also perforated and three-hole-punched for convenience.
* A new Glossary of Musical Terms is included at the back of the text.
* A Companion Website at www.oup.com/us/houlahan offers both students and faculty extensive additional resources. Students will find supplementary musicianship exercises to develop their singing, memory, audiation, sight singing, and keyboard skills. Instructors will find video clips of the authors teaching, sample lesson plans, and teaching strategies, as well as sample tests and assessment rubrics.
|Publisher:||Oxford University Press, Incorporated|
|Publish Date:||Jan 21, 2011|
|Number of Pages:||528|
|Shipping Weight (in pounds):||2.65|
|Product in Inches (L x W x H):||8.4 x 10.9 x 1.2|
Be the first to review this item. Share your rating and review so that other customers can decide if this is the right item for them.
Ask a question
If you would like to share feedback with us about pricing, delivery or other customer service issues, please contact customer service directly.
Walmart does not sponsor, recommend or endorse any third party product or service, or any customer ideas or advice.
Questions will be checked against our question guidelines and posted within five to seven business days.