Check out these related products
- $19.72 List price $24.95Save $5.23
- $9.64 List price $14.95Save $5.31
- $8.11 Was $9.10Save $0.99
- $17.96 List price $26.99Save $9.03
- $16.23 List price $19.99Save $3.76
- $11.93 Was $12.96Save $1.03
- $17.44 List price $24.95Save $7.51
- $16.97 List price $19.95Save $2.98
How Football Explains America
Consider these popular products
- $18.66 List price $27.99Save $9.33
- $16.77 Was $18.99Save $2.22
- $14.30 List price $26.00Save $11.70
- $10.00 List price $16.00Save $6.00
- $13.50 Was $15.25Save $1.75
- $13.40 List price $14.95Save $1.55
- $12.25 List price $14.95Save $2.70
- $13.35 List price $16.00Save $2.65
- $8.75 List price $14.95Save $6.20
- $13.94 List price $14.95Save $1.01
About this item
About this item
Important Made in USA Origin Disclaimer: For certain items sold by Walmart on Walmart.com, the displayed country of origin information may not be accurate or consistent with manufacturer information. For updated, accurate country of origin data, it is recommended that you rely on product packaging or manufacturer information.
Using some of the most prominent voices in pro sports and cultural and media criticism, "How Football Explains America" is a fascinating, first-of-its-kind journey through the making of America's most complex, intriguing, and popular game. ESPN's Sal Paolantonio's explores just how crucial football is to understanding the American psyche. Interspersed with memorable images from the climax of Super Bowl XLII, Paolantonio tackles varying American themes from Manifest Destiny to "fourth and one" as he goes deep in order to answer the age-old question "Why does America love football so much?" An unabashedly celebratory explanation of America's love affair with the game and the men who make it possible, this work sheds light on topics such as how the pioneers and cowboys helped create a game that resembled their march across the continent, why rugby and soccer don't excite the American male like football does. how rule changes are continually made to enhance the dramatic action and create a better narrative, the eternal appeal of the heroic quarterback position, the military lineage from General Douglas MacArthur to the New York Jets' head coach Eric Mangini, and how the burgeoning medium of television identified and exploited the NFL's great characters. It is a must read for anyone interested in more fully understanding not only the game but also the nation in which it thrives.
|Publisher:||Independent Pub Group|
|Publish Date:||Sep 2008|
|Number of Pages:||211|
|Shipping Weight (in pounds):||0.88|
|Product in Inches (L x W x H):||5.25 x 8.0 x 1.0|
Ask a question
If you would like to share feedback with us about pricing, delivery or other customer service issues, please contact customer service directly.
Walmart does not sponsor, recommend or endorse any third party product or service, or any customer ideas or advice.
Questions will be checked against our question guidelines and posted within five to seven business days.