Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers
Customers also viewed these products
- $5.08 Was $8.99Save $3.91
- $9.07 List price $16.00Save $6.93
About this item
About this item
Important Made in USA Origin Disclaimer: For certain items sold by Walmart on Walmart.com, the displayed country of origin information may not be accurate or consistent with manufacturer information. For updated, accurate country of origin data, it is recommended that you rely on product packaging or manufacturer information.
A look inside the world of forensics examines the use of human cadavers in a wide range of endeavors, including research into new surgical procedures, space exploration, and a Tennessee human decay research facility.
An oddly compelling, often hilarious forensic exploration of the strange lives of our bodies postmortem. For two thousand years, cadavers some willingly, some unwittingly have been involved in science's boldest strides and weirdest undertakings. They've tested France's first guillotines, ridden the NASA Space Shuttle, been crucified in a Parisian laboratory to test the authenticity of the Shroud of Turin, and helped solve the mystery of TWA Flight 800. For every new surgical procedure, from heart transplants to gender reassignment surgery, cadavers have been there alongside surgeons, making history in their quiet way. In this fascinating, ennobling account, Mary Roach visits the good deeds of cadavers over the centuries from the anatomy labs and human-sourced pharmacies of medieval and nineteenth-century Europe to a human decay research facility in Tennessee, to a plastic surgery practice lab, to a Scandinavian funeral directors' conference on human composting. In her droll, inimitable voice, Roach tells the engrossing story of our bodies when we are no longer with them. 13 b/w illustrations.
|Publisher:||W W Norton & Co Inc|
|Publish Date:||May 2004|
|Number of Pages:||304|
|Shipping Weight (in pounds):||0.6|
|Product in Inches (L x W x H):||6.0 x 8.25 x 0.75|
Ask a question
If you would like to share feedback with us about pricing, delivery or other customer service issues, please contact customer service directly.
Walmart does not sponsor, recommend or endorse any third party product or service, or any customer ideas or advice.
Questions will be checked against our question guidelines and posted within five to seven business days.
Check out these related products
- $9.41 List price $15.95Save $6.54
- $7.35 List price $9.99Save $2.64
- $11.81 Was $14.99Save $3.18
- $12.48 List price $13.99Save $1.51
- $22.72 List price $28.95Save $6.23
- $15.51 List price $18.00Save $2.49
Consider these popular products
- $10.86 List price $16.95Save $6.09
- $21.54 List price $25.00Save $3.46
- $16.49 List price $29.99Save $13.50
- Rollback$6.00 Was $6.99Save $0.99
- $20.45 Was $29.95Save $9.50
- $10.57 List price $16.95Save $6.38
- $16.80 List price $21.95Save $5.15
- $9.09 Was $12.00Save $2.91
- $5.06 List price $5.99Save $0.93
- $229.28 List price $240.00Save $10.72
- $23.45 List price $30.00Save $6.55
- $8.10 Was $9.99Save $1.89