The Snail Darter and the Dam: How Pork-Barrel Politics Endangered a Little Fish and Killed a River
Check out these related products
- $26.55 Was $27.95Save $1.40
- $20.39 List price $22.50Save $2.11
- $28.86 List price $40.00Save $11.14
- $32.02 List price $34.95Save $2.93
- $26.04 List price $29.95Save $3.91
- $23.78 List price $29.95Save $6.17
- $14.95 List price $24.95Save $10.00
About this item
About this item
Important Made in USA Origin Disclaimer: For certain items sold by Walmart on Walmart.com, the displayed country of origin information may not be accurate or consistent with manufacturer information. For updated, accurate country of origin data, it is recommended that you rely on product packaging or manufacturer information.
Offers the untold story of a notorious environmental case and the citizen crusade that carried a little fish through Washington politics and the Supreme Court.
Even today, thirty years after the legal battles to save the endangered snail darter, the little fish that blocked completion of a TVA dam is still invoked as an icon of leftist extremism and governmental foolishness. In this eye-opening book, the lawyer who with his students fought and won the Supreme Court case--known officially as "Tennessee Valley Authority v. Hill"--tells the hidden story behind one of the nation's most significant environmental law battles.
The realities of the darter's case, Plater asserts, have been consistently mischaracterized in politics and the media. This book offers a detailed account of the six-year crusade against a pork-barrel project that made no economic sense and was flawed from the start. In reality TVA's project was designed for recreation and real estate development. And at the heart of the little group fighting the project in the courts and Congress were family farmers trying to save their homes and farms, most of which were to be resold in a corporate land development scheme. Plater's gripping tale of citizens navigating the tangled corridors of national power stimulates important questions about our nation's governance, and at last sets the snail darter's record straight.
|Publisher:||Yale Univ Pr|
|Publish Date:||Jun 2013|
|Number of Pages:||369|
|Shipping Weight (in pounds):||1.4|
|Product in Inches (L x W x H):||6.5 x 9.5 x 1.25|
Ask a question
If you would like to share feedback with us about pricing, delivery or other customer service issues, please contact customer service directly.
Walmart does not sponsor, recommend or endorse any third party product or service, or any customer ideas or advice.
Questions will be checked against our question guidelines and posted within five to seven business days.
Consider these popular products
- $20.40 List price $27.99Save $7.59
- $19.94 List price $24.95Save $5.01
- $241.50 List price $288.95Save $47.45
- $42.21 Was $44.61Save $2.40
- $132.12 List price $167.80Save $35.68
- $204.85 List price $232.95Save $28.10
- $23.24 Was $25.64Save $2.40
- $14.57 List price $19.95Save $5.38
- $20.06 List price $27.95Save $7.89
- $14.31 List price $24.99Save $10.68
- $22.56 List price $35.00Save $12.44
- $11.28 Was $17.13Save $5.85