Upon receiving a cryptic letter from a childhood friend, Professor Layton is called to the carnival city of Monte d'Or to investigate a mysterious villain known as the Masked Man. With his assistant Emmy and apprentice Luke in tow, the team arrives in town with a carnival in full swing - only to witness the Masked Man crashing the party! Step into the shoes of a young Layton as the investigation turns to the discovery of a mysterious artifact, and the disappearance of his friend Randall Ascot 18 years ago. Is there some connection between these events and the chaos gripping Monte d'Or today?
- Explore, chat and solve - When exploring the various locales in the game, you'll come across a wide range of characters. Talk to everyone, and use your touch screen to search every window, door, or alleyway in the scene. Often you'll find a puzzle waiting for you. Look out for problems that the townsfolk need your help with, hidden riddles to unlock secret locations, and more.
- Use the tools, and your talent - Once you're presented with a puzzle, the scenario will be laid out on the top screen. Below that, you'll need to use your stylus to solve it. Write, draw, or drag and drop objects as needed, and always be prepared to use your mental muscle. Keep an eye out for these features as you play.
- Hint coins - Stumped? Spend a Hint Coin for some help. The more coins you spend, the stronger the hint. You can collect more coins hidden in the scenes around you.
- Memos - Need to really work it out? Use notes to draw on top of the puzzle space if needed, multiple pen colors are available.
- Picarats - You get these for solving puzzles. Solve on the first try to get the maximum amount. Collect enough and something wonderful might happen.
- Mix it up with minigames - Looking for a change of pace? These minigames give you another way to work your wits without the pressure of solving a grand mystery. Some are more action packed, some involve a lot more bunnies - and all will keep you guessing.
- ESRB Rating: EVERYONE 10+ with Mild Violence